cooling problems help!!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by dubDREAD, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

a friend of mine and i have replaced a 1.8 8v for another 1.8 8v (dont ask!)

car fires up and runs problem is :

-bottom rad pipe stays cold

-and fan doesnt kick in HAVE NOW BOUGHT NEW SENSOR NOT FITTED YET

-we thought we had air lock in the rad , we havent!

-we have bought a new therostat and fitted it but the water isnt warm enough to open it , the old engine did not have one ????

-we have checked the water pump is working ,it is.

the engine thats gone in has sat outdoors for a year or so is there anything in the block that can cause these symtoms,
    APART FROM THE SLIM CHANCE OF A SMALL BOILED MOUSE STUCK IN A WATER PIPE

THIS IS S COMPLETELY STANDARD 1.8 8V EARLY TYPE C-REG K-JET

ANY HELP APPRECIATED CHAPS;)

thanks for reading

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so whats the problem? if the water isnt getting hot enough to open the stat then the engine is over heating

i did some coolant work on one of the essex cgti mk2 8vs not long ago. the temp was getting to 90*+ but not coming down when the fan came on etc

the coolant looked like diarhere (?), we got it a new stat, seal, fan temp sender, expansion tank cap and new anti freeze.

we flushed it every which way to get the crap out. we found out the car had no stat to start with (lol) but was still overheating. we tentatively put the new stat in and ran it, with the stat it all ran well so we drained it again and added the anti freeze.

now the coolant warms up even faster (it was pretty quick before anyway without a stat) but it moves fractionally past 90* and wont get any hotter.

the only pipe i know of that causes trouble is the return hose that goes from the top of teh rad to the expansion tank. if thats blocked it wont bleed properly

3. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

yes this all sounds similar , so hopefully wen the new temps sensor goes in the fan should wake up ,

this doesnt explain why the bottom of the rad stays cold doe?

and i am 90% sure its not blocked we filled it up out of the car flowed through fine

but we didnt fill it directly on the car we fed it from the header tank?

return hose is fine.

hhmmmmm?

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bottom hose stays cold until the stat opens and cycles water into the rad.

the hot water gets cycled into the rad to cool it, onces thats all heated up, the fan sensor tells the fan to start

if your bottom hose isnt getting hot, the rad wont get hot and the fan will never come on

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the bottom hose SHOULD stay cold if the coolant isnt hot enough to open the thermostat ;)

haver a read of me coolant faq :thumbup:

6. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

cheers boyz

7. Blue MK2 Forum Member

disconnect BOTH hoses that go to the heater matrix. flush that out till you get a nice flow of water out the other end. Most of the air sits in that (on mine anyway)