cooling system flush

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by uby, Sep 7, 2009.

1. UBY

uby Forum Member

hi need to flush the cooling system so have baught some holts flush . it says to put it in the via the radiator cap and not via the exspansion bottle but as my 16v doesnt have a radiator cap where the f--k do i put it ?
    thanks in advance
    uby

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

take the top hose off and drain a bit of water,refill with the flush and put the hose back on
    not sure why it says dont use the expansion tank tho

3. UBY

uby Forum Member

no idea mate why it says not to put it directly in the exspansion tank ? ,i think ile do what you said mate just to be on the safe side
    cheers uby

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

if you put it in the exspansion tank it just sits there and dose not go round the system

i cleaned my exspansion tank out with rice boy was that a pain to get out after

5. UBY

uby Forum Member

cheers mushy , via the top hose then ?

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

that makes sense :thumbup: go for the top hose then,fill it slowly tho you dont want to get an air lock

7. UBY

uby Forum Member

what about coolant , surely that goes round the system when you add it via the exspansion tank ?

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yea it does but probably not as consistant as through the radiator,it is solely theer to allow for expansion of the water and has a very small pipe to it from the top of the radiator and a not much thicker pipe from it to the engine area,i think using the top hose will circulate it much quicker with better flow

9. UBY

uby Forum Member

cheers neil ile give it a bash tomorow mate
    uby

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie