Core plugs

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Gavsdad, Jun 24, 2023.

1. Gavsdad

Gavsdad Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like one of the core plugs has rusted through and water poring out (these things always happen away from home don’t they) anyway RAC turned up put some two pack on it sealed it and it got me home. Is the way to do these to pull motor and box out?. Will replace them all at the same time. Any problems disconnecting the drive shafts?

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Which one has gone as some are accessible with the engine in. I bought a mk2 that had popped one and luckily for me it could be just about fitted with everything in situ.

I bought one of those movable mirror on a stick things with a couple of led lights on it off ebay to help me see what I was doing, some sealant on the plug and tapped in with a socket sat inside the cup bit of the plug

3. Gavsdad

Gavsdad Paid Member Paid Member

It looks like the middle core plug that’s shot, looking on YouTube as you do there’s mention of someone who took exhaust down pipe off and it gave him enough room to work and replace plugs. If that doesn’t work may be faster/easier with the engine out, could clean engine bay at the same time

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’d just take the engine out, it’s like an hours work and it’s out