Corner weighting

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by g60syncro, Feb 3, 2010.

1. g60syncro Forum Member

Hopefully I've posted in the right section. Forgive me if I've got it wrong....I want to corner weight my Mk2 once it's back on the road and I can't really find anywhere to get it done? I'm down in Wiltshire but where do all you trackday/racer guys go?

2. goblinracing10 Forum Member

I do this myself with some scales i bought from Demon tweeks. I do this to the Vento my dad runs and the beetle I run.

Finding someone who can do this for you can cost a bob or two. If you are going to be doing this regularily for track use would recommend investing in a set of scales.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

How far are you from Stroud? Turner Race Developments should be able to help with that, I'd have thought. Or try Badger 5, also in Glos, especially as they're a CGTI sponsor! I expect Bill must have some scales to set his own car up, or will know someone who does.

4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Mikes spot on. Bill doesent have any. He gets Mark @Slidesports to set up his Biza.

www.turner-race-developments.co.uk

Mention that i sent you and you will be looked after. Ask for Dan he has built 10+ race cars and loads of track cars. So knows his stuff. He can set it up for road or track as well as cambers and toe settings.

We use these

[​IMG]

This is from when i had the old Jetta 2.0 16v itbs, on the scales a few years ago. It had a perfect left right balance and front to rear. 60/40 split on a FWD car is very good

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. g60syncro Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys. So do you still need to set camber etc in the usual manner then corner weight the car?

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Cambers can be done first as long as you not a million miles away on your ride heights. But best to check them after as well.

Cheers Mike

7. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

try centre gravity... do a search on google. Had my Ibiza done there, top bloke and know's his stuff but not cheap :(

Transformed my car tho!

Also there's a place in Bridgend, South Wales doing it now.... taking my car there next monday after the work I've had done. Cheaper and closer for me thats the only reason :)

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

whos in bridgend?

9. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Avia Autos in Bridgend Industrial Estate

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

nice,let me know how you get on there :)

11. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

yea will do! Know a few people that have used them and been happy. See how they compare to the service I had at Centre Gravity, hopefully not as expensive tho

12. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

13. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

yea i used them, very good and him and his wife are sound! Bit for me to travel and his prices are silly mind but my car do handle very well..... was worth the money

14. altern8 Forum Junkie

Hey

How did you get on down there after?

15. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I was pleased with the service. Had a very good chat with him about set ups, what I had from centre gravity was a complete balanced car but when it's under hard braking the drivers front wheel would have more weight on it, so he's adjusted the heights to get the front more balanced under braking and cornering.

Will see how it gets on at Castle Combe this Saturday!

They said if I'm not happy they will change it back for me, so worth a go! :)

16. altern8 Forum Junkie

cant fault service so far then :) what did they charge out of intrest? did it take long and was your car too low at all?

17. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

94 all in, worked on the car for 2 and half hours and the car isn't that low anyway (fit 2-3 fingers between tyre and arch) so he just made slight adjustments and sorted my tracking.

Full set up from start to finish would probably cost more but give you an idea Avia Auto charged 94, Centre Gravity wanted 264 for the same work

18. JWYATT Forum Member

just wondered , totally new to this sort of stuff , but just a quick response not indetail as i assume it would take alot of writing , what is corner weighting ? how'd the car get set up for centre of gravity ?

Cheers Joe

19. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

Corner weighting does exactly what it says, you put the car on 4 scales (one under each wheel) then adjust the ride height at each corner to balance the cars weight as evenly as possible.

Combine this with properly set up camber & tracking and your car should handle to the best of it's potential.

20. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Not strickly true Alex!

Its not about getting the front to equal out, or the rear to equal out, or to get all the same at all..

More about left to right at 50% (with ballast etc) and then the cross weight, or 'wedge' which is diagonal over the chassis. LR to RF etc.. other wise you car will understter on one direction and oversteer in another..

Checking tyre pressures and disconnecting anti roll bars is essential to.

Some people dont worry about the rears, and concentrate on getting the fronts equal, so that the car brakes very straight on heavy braking..

Regardless to all of this, your tyre temps and wear patterns tell the truth wather your scales say!

My scales are on order BTW! :thumbup:[:D]