Corrado 1.8 16v OR Corrado 2.0 16v

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by C14RKY, Jan 3, 2004.

1. C14RKY Forum Member

I want to buy a Corrado!

My mate who is a Golf Lover, can tell me absolutely anything about Golfs! Problem is, in his words, he knows little about corrado's.

I want to buy a 16 valver but don't know which would be best, the 1.8 or the 2.0. Hopefully I can get a corrado enthusiast to share their knowledge, or maybe even a 1.8 enthusiast versus a 2.0 enthusiast arguing the pro's and cons of their respective cars.

Please help!

Clarky

2. TommyT Forum Member

As far as i can tell .. From other posts

Corrado's = Only good with VR6 Or G60 lumps

TT

3. altern8 Forum Junkie

deffo go for the 2L raddo. much better :)

4. C14RKY Forum Member

The advice I was given is that the 2.0 has a cat, the 1.8 doesn't which means the difference in power after the extra weight is taken into account along with the cat is negligible.

On that info I was led to believe you'd be as well with a 1.8. (Less costly repairs, lighter etc)

As for a G60 or a VR6, Obviously those would be the ones to have but due to circumstances beyond my control, right now I need the cheaper option!

Then again, running costs of a G60 compared to a 16 valver? would there be that big a difference? Apart from insurance obviously!

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i think the 2.0 is slower than the 1.8,correct me if wrong.i dont think theres anything wrong with a valver corrado,theyre simple,easy to work on and a reliable engine.i know theyre not the quickest but i dont consider the g60 or the vr6 to be quick,for what they are.for ease of maintenence and reliability id go for either valver.
    mums just paid 3800 for a g plate 1,8 and its gorgeous to drive.

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

For any decent performance its got to be a G60 or VR6!!

The KR 1.8 16v is the same 139BHP engine as the mk2 Golf 16v.....but in a heavier body. (may also be a couple of BHP less)

The 2L 16v is a 9A (136BHP). Less power than the KR but more torque. Swapping to a KR inlet cam & setting up should give around 150BHP...

A flowed head & schrick cams can give 170+BHP, but this is still somewhere between the G60 & VR6 which can bothgo to 200+BHP without too much difficulty!

7. matt d Forum Member

But how reliable is a 200bhp g60?
    I'd be to worried to drive it.

8. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

personally.....

get 2 litre corrado, stick KR head and cams on.

set up at stealth, bingo! 165+ bhp

not gonna set the world on fire, but will be plenty quick enough, look like it's worth twice what you paid, and will be pretty cheap to run.

9. HiAsAKite Forum Member