corrado 2.0i 16v 1993 what to look for any and any problems

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by corrardo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. corrardo New Member

hi i am looking at a 1993 2.0i 16v corrado i think it's a 9a engine
    it's been serviced about 200mile ago i.e gaskets oil oil filter air filter plugs leads ect
    it's done 130k loads of service history

just asking is there any probs too look for

i.e cold start issues warm start

cutting out ect

any help will be aprechated

2. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

Hi mate and welcome to cgti

i would check if the cambelt has been done
    oil leaks

rear spoiler should come up at 45mph too

3. watercooled Forum Member

Sunroof not functioning,broken front spoiler (very expensive to replace),central locking issues,broken door handles,poor gearshifting due to worn cables and lever bushes,engine mounts (with age),engine air leaks,heater core,etc,just go and buy one they are cool,LOVE mine,they are a very well built car for the era,the above issues can be fixed if you are handy.

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I have (well, alright, the wife has) a Corrado 16V (9A) and they are really awesome cars.

Potential issue areas that come to mind, based on my own experience:

- Ensure door electric windows work. Last time I looked at repairing one on the old Corrado, it seemed that they started with the electric windows and then welded the car around them!

- Inspect the short rigid metal fuel lines on the fuel pump assembly. They corrode and eventually become an MOT failure (or worse, will leak fuel). Fortunately, new ones can be obtained from Think Auto for a very decent price with CGTI member discount. I've just fitted new ones from Think Auto on our Corrado's fuel pump.

- Check ABS works, with the dash ABS lamp turning off after a few seconds. (I had to replace the ABS valve block on our Corrado. Fortunately I had a spare from a previous scrapped Corrado.)

- Check opertation of sunroof and electric rear spoiler.

- Unless it has all already been done, during ownership you'll no doubt want to relace all front and rear bushes, balljoints, and top-mounts, etc. Ball joint parts should be genuine VAG, nothing else. For top mounts, upgrade to MK3 / VR6 items. These cars need decent suspension parts.

- Similar to above, check the engine mounts!

5. DuBAndy Forum Member