Corrado G60 (long) daily drive?

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by coolasacucumber, Jan 4, 2006.

1. I have a Citroen C5 diesel that I am extremely bored with, I want to get something else instead.

I do a fair few miles, between 350-500 a week, mostly motorway.

I want to keep it v-dub really, i dont want to mod any other brand [:D]

It needs to be reliable, (semi) economic, getting 40mpg with the C5, i know something more fun to drive would be less, but I dont want to go too much lower.

I need a fair bit of room to carry stuff, so a half decent boot is required.

At the mo all I want to spend is about 4k, so I was thinking a Corrado G60, I reckon it fits pretty much all of my criteria.

Any comments or suggestions on other cars would be most welcome.

Cheers!

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

corrado g60 mpg? 25 if you're lucky mate. boot is crap, they are comfortable but not in the 300-500 miles a day sort of way. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

I'd be thinking more along the lines of a passat or an a4 in your shoes. Possibly an A3 / mk4 golf, depending on boot space requirements.

3. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Sold that rallye yet?

4. points taken, and thanks, but does the fact that i do 350-500 a week and not a day make a difference?

boot space is ok - ive got room on the back seats aswell.

mpg is obviously less than i do, but i get all of my work petrol paid, so its only personal miles that is really a concern.

passatt and a4 are the sensible suggestions - but i want to move away from the sensible and enjoy myself driving again, which i havent done for quite a long time.

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Id suggest a Mk1 G40!! [:^(]

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

ooops I cant read. in that case a corrado g60 might be right. try and get a vr6 instead though.

I used to do 500 miles a week in a corrado g60, and it was hard work but do-able.

7. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Leon Cupra mate?

You do simliar milage to myself.....and basically i need a largish boot too....

Leon Cupra...

8. leon cupra for 4k? yes please!

please no-one mention mk1 G40's [:^(]

how does vr6 mpg compare with a tuned G60?

9. octane Forum Junkie

VR6's when driven aren't THAT bad on fuel, apparently Very similar on fuel to my v6 which will give out 31-32mpg driven normally.

10. so about the same, if not a bit higher than a tuned G60 then?

I want a car to mod again, so either would get some kind of engine fettling.

Seen a nice G, please see whats it worth? thread!

11. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Leon cupra's are on trader at 4k....milage wise ur looking at 100k or slightly less...personally i don't think thats too bad!

12. Dubya Forum Junkie

I would steer clear of A4/Passat if you want fun.

My brother has an A4 1.8t, and he says it is horribly boring to drive.

13. Thats exactly my thought. I have had a 5 door diesel that to be fair goes very well, is effortless to drive, and very comfortable for 18 months, but ive got to the stage now where i actually dont want to drive it!

I was planning on popping to the shop last night, but I couldnt face driving it again...

But then if there was a nice, shiny G60 sat on the drive, oh how things would be different!

14. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Did you ever finish your mk1 or sell it as it was? [:^(]

Loved that car!

15. Still got it. I would post a pic but it looks exactly the same as last time you saw it... [:$]

16. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

:lol:

Im glad you still got it anyway! :clap: :thumbup:

Get it finished!! [:x] ;)

17. iguana Forum Member

My Corrado was an excellent long distance cruiser, work was 150 miles a day easy peasy, & did 1500 miles across europe in a day in one hit no probs, whereas half that miles in other cars has seen me unable to walk! :lol:

18. I love you [l]

19. Skodub New Member

I used to do 300 miles a week in my Rallye. Commuted to Salisbury (60 mile round trip).

Used to get 30-35mpg (driven sensibly!) and found the drive to be brilliant. OK, so not a Corrado, but the principle remains the same.

Useability and practicality can be stretched to different tastes and demands. Personally I found using a VX220 daily to be joy, but others may struggle.

Good luck.

20. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i find the g60 rado good on the motorway,cruising around 80-100 is easy and comfortable,but around town i find it absolutely crap now...

i really dont like the gearing,1st is the most pointless gear ever,and 2nd isnt much better...

neil.