Corrado/mk3 stub axle & carrier/caliper change

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by MJA, Apr 18, 2023.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

My Corrado rear axle has a R32 conversion kit which looks like it is a standard mk4 stubaxle and bearing kit + abs ring and a custom bracket to allow fitment of R32 carriers.

Call me mad but I want to revert back to stock 232mm/9mm wide disc as I don't want to have to run 17in wheels on the car and do want to option of running stock 15s from time to time.

Q on the rear carrier - will a standard mk4 rear caliper and carrier combo (say something from a 1.8t) fit ok against my corrado rear axle? I assume a corrado/mk3 carrier will have a slightly different offset with oem stub axle setup.

Anything else to think about? I think looking at it that's all it is. I can see the brake lines are differnet but assume i can just re-use what has already been upgraded for the r32 calipers.

Cheers
    Matt

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the calipers from the lower spec 'normal' mk4 models will fit (i.e. no 256mm/haldex stuff), but non of the MK4 type carriers are any use to you. instead you want mk2/3/polo type carriers

3. MJA

Thanks Rubjonny

4. MJA

Actually rubjonny - can i just re-use the original corrado carriers and calipers with the mk4 stubaxle/bearing combo?

5. rubjonny

not sure, but I'd assume not?

if you like the stronger hub setup you can use the polo 6n/ibiza rear hub setup but theyre getting a bit dear these days. IIRC to go 5 stud you can just bolt the 9N hub on but maybe double check that

6. MJA

Ah cheers, I was just looking to keep the good bits already installed to the car rather than reverting back to a stock corrado stub axle. I probs need to get some pics of what I have up on here. Will do at weekend.

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Just as a perusal, do you have the polo rear stubs and hubs, then the r32 disc set up?, I thought the mk4 had a more square bolt pattern on the stub axle, whereas the polo was same as a mk2/3 golf etc so bolts straight on. This was from sorting my caddy van I found you can bolt the mk4 stub straight on, but that's 5x100 mk4 hub so then the mk2 caddy hub fits to revert back to 4 stud, whereas the polo stub can take the 6n2 for 4 or 9n type for 5 stud.
    Bearing size is different between mk4 and polo hubs too.

8. MJA

It's a good Q, I need to take the wheel off and get some pics. It came installed with the car. Perhaps it is a polo stub - there is a receipt from JMR with the description "Parts for r32 rear brake conversion" = £900 (gulp).

9. dodgy

The polo/ibiza/lupo/mk2/mk3/fabia stub has a tapered bolt pattern and the mk4 used a chunkier stub with a mire square or rectangular (oblong if you're old) pattern.
    Epytec do an adaptor plate and lists part numbers, so if all bought new I can imagine it was up to that total.

On the polo I swapped drum to disc, then upgraded to the 256 vented set up straight on, possible only difference between 2wd and 4wd might be the offset and a spacer needed (6mm?) As seen in some kits.

Not greatest pics but slightly shows the difference of bolt pattern.
    Screenshot_20230420-212419_Chrome.jpg
    Polo/mk2

Screenshot_20230420-212402_Chrome.jpg
    Mk4

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  10. MJA

Thanks Dodgy, that lifts some of mystery and hopefully will fall into place when I get a proper look at it.

dodgy likes this.
  11. dodgy

Think epytec list the bits as lupo or polo 6n2 stub axles, and alternate hubs depending if 4 or 5 stud, possibly just 5 stud listed, then r32/S3 caliper, carrier and disc, like I say not sure if a spacer is needed due to difference between 2 and 4wd carriers, I used leon cupra r set so only fwd anyway and went straight on.

12. MJA

Cheers got out there for some pics. I can see an adapter now. 20230421_204345.jpg

20230421_202858.jpg 20230421_202902.jpg 20230421_203727.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  13. dodgy

MJA likes this.
  14. rubjonny

yep has the original stub axles, with some kind of adaptor fitted to allow for larger discs. so unbolt that and you can go stright back to standard with mk2/3 carriers and mk2/3/4/whatever 2WD calipers

MK4 alloy type would work with the flexi you have, or swap back to original type flexi if you go mk2/3 type calipers

15. MJA

ahh cheers all, simplier than i had thought. I thought there was a different stubaxle but think i will revert back to standard to keep things simple and maximise the upgrade kits value in parts (as i have a full body resto to pay for).