correct u-joint shaft for '91 golf with no p/s?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by pinkbmw, Nov 5, 2023.

1. pinkbmw New Member

Hello,

I've just installed a manual rack into my '91, and I must've bought the wrong rack (or UJ?) as it doesn't want to get onto the coloumn. The UJ was "missing" a few splines, while my coloumn's got splines all over - minus where the pinch bolt goes through.

What's the most efficient way to fix lol! Perhaps the rack I bought was for an earlier model golf, but can I get away with just buying a new UJ, and dropping the subframe a bit to squeeze it in?

Thanks!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes there are 2 spline sizes for the MK2, they changed right near the end of production. 40 tooth for the early one, 18 tooth for run out. also pas uj is different again

3. pinkbmw New Member

I see. The rack was from an 86 golf. Do you think if I got a later model UJ it would fit? Currently The part where it goes onto the rack has splines all over, and so does the coloumn. Right now my UJ can slide onto the rack, but not the coloumn.

Thanks a bunch for your reply!

4. rubjonny

the column side was unchanged, the difference in splines is on the rack itself. have you converted it from power steering? if so you'll need a manual UJ to match it

5. pinkbmw New Member

Car already had manual steering but long story short since the steering started giving me a hard time I wanted to install another rack and UJ. So my UJ fits lengthwise it’s just the splines on the end of it that don’t align with the coloumn.

Is a UJ that has splines all over on both ends (40 splines?) an early or late model production?

6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Course spline is late fitment, sounds like you have bought an early rack. However, I don’t think late racks are available.
    What did you decide to change the rack rather than refurbish your original?

7. pinkbmw New Member

My UJ shaft was put on upside down I believe, and got welded into the rack when I first got the car. They also must’ve realized they bought a p/s shaft so they cut and welded the UJ itself so it’s always been bent making the car much harder to turn haha.

So I can’t buy a late model UJ to fix this? The rack fits perfect, I just need something with full splines on both ends to connect to the coloumn.

8. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

You need an early UJ I believe. Try MK2 spares.

9. pinkbmw New Member

Ah I see. I’ll see if I can get one and double check to make sure it fits this time. Thx!

10. rubjonny

yeah the steering column is the same for all years, and also all rack types. so you just need the correct UJ to match your rack