Cost of Respray??

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by ianb, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ianb Forum Member

Anyone

How much on average does it cost for a full respray of a MK2 Golf these days?

Trying to guage costings of a respray from anyone who has done this?

I assume full glass out respray costs much more.

Luckily I have a white MK2 which should be more straightforward to paint.

2. Mk2Luke16v Forum Member

Mine was 1400 a few years back, full glass out job. I did a lot of the removal of trim etc beforehand but they removed and refitted the glass as i wasn't confident on that. That was a general well recommended local bodyshop though, no big name or anything. It also included a rear quarter panel repair and several tiny welding/smoothing bits. I think by all accounts that was pretty cheap.

3. Chris P Forum Member

Pauls Bodyshop in Barwell near leicester quoted me 2k for a windows out respray a few months ago.They do top work,including Noble cars,Ultimas and two of my mates' classic jags.

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i worked in a pain shop that would have done it for 500,but you get what you pay for,everything was masked off and corners were cut,so id say around a grand + for a good job,but ask around,some will be happy to do it cheaper if you take all the windows out and de trim it all etc and get it ready for them,you will have to trailer it to them obviously but you mat save alot in the long run

5. ianb Forum Member

Thanks

I will see how the car is and assess it when I collect it next week hopefully. The drivers door at the bottom is rotted and could be plated along it's length or I could get a second hand door but I'm having trouble getting a white one to match the car.....may just get whatever colour I can get.

The car just needs some remedial work on the arches sills and drivers door as the rest is ok although I do fancy giving it some TLC all over body spray.

1000- 1200 seems reasonable though although I will shop around but would like a half decent job.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  6. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

the bodyshops near my work in Southend all say about 1500 for a glass out respray, but are willing to drop the price(by a good chunk) if the owner removes and refits their own trims and bumpers, as this can take quite a bit of time and if anything should break its not down to the bodyshop. when i had my car repainted i loved removing everything, it was a great mission and i cleaned every little morsel of dirt off before it went back on.

7. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Doubt you will get all that work done for 1000-1200 if you did it would be a bodge job which could end up looking rubbish and you might have to get it re done after a short space of time. I have a bare shell which I prepped, primed and will block myself and it's still gonna cost me a grand to have painted.

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I got quoted about 3 grand recently by a local place, I saw their work though, well worth the money.

Considering they had an old school 6 series in there next to a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I think they were being fair, you don't leave that kind of car at a bad body shop and they looked pretty lush as far as paint goes.

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Have you spoken to Pete mate?

His father in law does car body spraying and would no doubt do an excellent job...he does resto stuff on older cars

I'm going to get him to fix a couple of bits on mine;)

He lives over in Glastonbury :thumbup:

10. runes New Member

had two quotes last week for my black 3dr. both came in at 2200 for glass out with work involved, stone chips all over and two small areas of rust to sort out around windscreen and rear vw rondell.[:x]
    quality dont come for free my friend and you get what you pay for in this game, strip as much as you can to save time n labour but only do prep if you know what you are doing otherwise you'll finger f**^k it and it'll cost you more to get it sorted;)

11. ianb Forum Member

Just waiting for the car to assess.

Thanks Chris

Ian

12. lufbramatt Forum Member

got my passat done last year for 1500 which was a glass out/doors off job, and included fitting new bonded screens to the front and rear. I took it to them with all the trim and interior removed though (literally just had the drivers seat and dash left in it, and one wing mirror!) and i put the trim back on so he knocked off a few hundred quid as he didnt have to do any of that.

13. Admin Guest

i'd bank on a minimum of 1500 for a good job, that will require you to remove and fit a lot of the trim to.

depending on the state of the door, it may be cheaper to get a replacement in better condition, rather than the bodyshop spend time making a rotten door good again.