Could be a silly question..

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Jigger1970, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Jigger1970 New Member

Morning sorry but i have a daft question ???? could someone tell me which way my rotor arm should be pointing at 6 degrees before tdc (i believe it should be 6 degrees) its a 2lt lump 1.8 injection head. it runs but is lumpy oh also how loud should the should the sucking noises from the inlet manifold be i can find no leaks but can hear it above the engine noise.. Thankyou.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Rotor arm, when the engine is at TDC should line up with a little mark on the cap seating face of the dizzy.

3. Jigger1970 New Member

Hi yeah but does it make a difference to the timing where the mark is. As if it were on a clock face does it have to be at a certain position ie 11 or 12 or 1 ect or doesn't it matter as long as it is lined up with plug one lead ?

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

line up with #1 plug lead then fine tune with a strobe light once its running

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what engine management is it?

it doesnt matter where the dizzy is positioned so long as plug lead #1 is fitted where the rotor arm is pointing when the engine is at TDC, you have enough adjustment on the dizzy to get it right without the plug hitting the block, and you get the timing set right for the management system, and you have the correct dizzy :)