Couple of pics taken on Friday

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by jApAn, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jApAn Forum Member

Just thought I'd post some of the pics I took whilst I was at RSPB The Lodge. No bird pics, my lens isn't amazing. C&C is appreciated.

Taken at the quarry area:
    [​IMG]

Taken in the garden behind the main reception building:
    [​IMG]

This one was taken on the way home, near Bedford:
    [​IMG]

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

1st one is good, just slightly bright around the tree area, with a little tweeking in PS you could get better depth from it.

2nd one not so fussed on, looks like the pond is dying :lol: .

3rd one is also a nice shot & has better darks within it than the 1st.

My 2p.

3. jApAn Forum Member

Cheers for the C&C. I sort of felt that about the first one, as it seemed to me to be a little bit washed out. Second one, I thought I might tweak the saturation on PS to make it much better, but the pond certainly isn't dying :p I had to wait for a shot without little fishies :lol: D'you want a full size of the 3rd one? I have the file on my laptop.

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I like the first one. It is a shame about the sky, although you can't help the weather. I agree with Mike - a bit of fettling in PhotoShop could make that into a better sky.

Something like this, for example, a two second job done with the gradient tool, helps remove that boring whiteness at the top of the picture. It could be done much better, but just to show the idea. You see it done on Top Gear a lot, when they have a dull sky - keep an eye open for it next time you watch.

[​IMG]

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

1st one is my fav looking at them again, it could have been taken anywhere around the world [:D] .

6. jApAn Forum Member

Looks good, and yes, I've noticed that they use it loads, but the filtered lenses I have are for a different camera :(

7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I haven't got any filters (except the plain ones to protect my lenses), so all my filtering is done in PS.

Works out cheaper that way, as my three lenses all need different size filters.

8. jApAn Forum Member

Fair enough, but I still prefer using real life filters - perhaps I'm old fashioned! Thanks for showing the pic with a filtered effect though.

9. Admin Guest

that the one at sandy?

10. jApAn Forum Member

Yes, just off the A603, you been there much?

11. Admin Guest

no i just know where it is, down the road from mine.

you local?

12. jApAn Forum Member

I live in Milton Keynes, so it's not too far from me :) Saw a few very nice mk1 cabrios on the way there, was there something on?

13. jApAn Forum Member

Did these up a while back, but I just found that I could be bothered this evening to upload them. So here's the edited products. I left the 3rd one since it seems quite decent. I don't want to chance making it worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. WillG

WillG Forum Member

top gear do love their filters - especially to get the sky obscenely blue!

Personally I don't like editing my photo's with PS or any other program, I think I'm old school too, probably why I like B&W so much. The point that your camera shows you the picture you just took takes the fun away from post production, why do you need to edit afterwards? Just change the settings and take the picture again!

I learnt photography from being in dark rooms, but admittedly you could change the pictures with your hands (paper, anything to limit/expose) to limit the light to certain areas when enlarging etc. but you couldn't see the picture in full before that point!

15. jApAn Forum Member

I agree with you to an extent, but editing photographs in photoshop is mostly essensial to get the picture that I want. Main point for me to edit it was that the light wasn't so good, and neither was the sky, so I just edit them for the right effect. For example, if you go to do a photoshoot with your car, and the sky looks overcast, you could just go along and take the snaps, and edit the sky + reflection later. I'm no expert about it, so I'm not sure if you'd do it that way since I don't own a car and have never done a photoshoot.

jAp