Couple of quick questions...

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Fozzy, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Fozzy Forum Member

Im far from mechanically minded so id thought I'd ask a few questions to all you experts on here...

1st. what sort of average mpg are you getting from a mkII 16v on your mfa? reason i ask is since ive had the car even on a 30-40min drive on dual carriageway im only getting around 33-35mpg...Not sure if this is right as my MKIV r32 did 31mpg on the same trip?

2nd. what can i do to make the gear change alot smoother...i dont want to shortshifter kit but is there anything that makes it better?

3rd. oh and nearly forgot what do you all recommend to do to gain around 160ish bhp as i had the car rolling roaded the other week and it made a reasonable 130.3bhp standard. would like more power without losing the originallity.

any help much appreciated

Cheers

Dan

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Question 1:
    I get an average of 30.5 ish.
    I can get 45 mpg if I go at 55mph on the dual carriageway
    Round town and stuff it'll go down to 25 or there-abouts.

My MFA is reading about 3 mpg too low, the above is the real figures. So it reads 3 mpg lower than what said above...

Q 2:
    A gearbox rebuild!!! Or just change the box oil, check all the linkages etc.

Q 3:
    Not too sure.... I'll let someone with a bit more tech knowledge answer that for you...:thumbup:

3. Fozzy Forum Member

cheers for the quick reply...glad to know that my mfa is working correctly and me not thinking im going mad.

as for the gearbox rebuild it really isnt that bad it must just be me still getting used to a old gearbox and not a new one. :)

cheers

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

On a stock KR, upgrade the intake a little bit as per Toyotec's experiments, change cams for ABF (or just put a whole ABF in, can be done in 10 hours and gains a nice big load of torque) and carry out the WUR mod.

130 on RR is pretty good considering how sporadic their results can be.

5. Fozzy Forum Member

I'm new to all this mate so a little explaining may need to be in order! Lol abf? And the wur mod buddy?

Yeh I was really impressed considering she's 18yo just goes to show she's been looked after!

Dan

6. powerhand Forum Member

To smooth out the gear shift, a weighted rod from a Mk3 is a very quick, easy and cheap mod...

7. Fozzy Forum Member

Ta very much just the sort of thing i was looking for...any idea of part number or is it a case of buying new or a scrappy?

Dan

8. powerhand Forum Member

Have a look on eBay. Just seen a couple going for under a tenner. I searched for 'golf gear shifter weight' and there's a few there.

9. squidlegs Forum Member

I got a new bush kit for the linkages off ebay for about a fiver or so, though my old bushes were in tatters

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

GSF sell the linkages and rubjonny has a guide on here.

WUR mod is a warm up regulator modification, that's all I know about it.

ABF is the most awesome 16v lump that VW made in EA827 form.

11. thegave Forum Member

WUR mod is a way of enriching the mixture at the top end of the rev range, as KR's tend to run a little lean. I'm not sure exactly how it is done but it is best done by a professional on a dyno so as to avoid damage to your engine.

I think it is fairly well documented that 16v engines "open up" over time and gain power, so a good servicing may be in order also. Otherwise, to see more power you would be looking at cams, exhaust and improved breathing, so a worked head, maybe an ABF head and cams.

Smoothing your gear shift, as mentioned before a MK3 "weighted gear shift rod" and new linkage bushes. May also want to consider upgraded shift linkage; TSR offers an uprated linkage kit, and I currently have one made by a user on the forum called "Hotgolf", which made the change more solid and precise. May be worth messaging him to see if he has any in stock.

ABF is the VW 2.0L 16v engine fitted to MK3 GTi's so Shaz is essentially suggesting an engine conversion, which may or may not be what you are looking for.

12. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Only?! Bahahaha! Mine used to do 5mpg...

Anyway, if penny pinching levels of fuel consumption is a concern then perhaps upping the power isn't for you [:p]

13. Fozzy Forum Member

I ran a r32 for a long time so fuel consumption really is the last thing on my mind, all I was getting at was I sort of expected more being a alot smaller engine but to own a mkII it not about fuel consumption it about driving a classic motor! :)

I would like more power without changing engines just like to keep the same but unsure as to what route to go down?

Dan

14. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Gotta remember though these engines are smaller, they're also considerably older!

Aaaanyway, biggest bang for your buck is to sling a 2.0 16v engine in (that's what an ABF is, but there's plenty of other cheaper 2.0 options!), a simple bolt in and plug and play affair but obviously not the same engine...

For more power out of what you've got I'd be looking at WUR mod as mentioned above (do a search), exhaust, cams, usual stuff, depends how much you wanna spend, you could obviously pour a load of money into it and go forced induction!

Top recommendation though - lightened flywheel, no extra power to be had but transforms the engine! Speak to Hotgolf on here about it :)

Also for maximum power increase, you're going to need a flocked dashboard, this will smooth out your gearchange and up your efficiency 10fold too :thumbup:

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2. mk3 rod, and read my linkage guide. that should sort everything out. if you go for an uprated metal linkage kit, buy the missinglinkz one from the states. better than the tsr one (can get it with a weighted shifter) and he also does uprated poly bushes for the relay shaft ball and bracket, highly recommended :thumbup:

4. read the wur mod guide on here, though that wont really give you more power unless your stock fueling is off. its more for modified/larger engines really. abf swap isnt particularly hard if you keep it on the kr management, can be done in 10 hours if you're well prepared and dont have any troubles with rounded/seized bolts or anything.

16. Fozzy Forum Member

Does a 8v airbox fit a 16v? Or are they completely different?

Cheers

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i think pre-89 16v airbox is same as mk2 8v k-jet, filter is same size at least. 90spec 16v has bigger airbox, bottom half is same size as digifant 8v. top half obv completly different

18. andreasue New Member

nice thread lots of information that ive got! Cheers! 8v airbox fits a 16v! That what i think.