Couple of random mk2 diesel Q's

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by ShaunyC, Jun 29, 2013.

1. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Hello diesel peeps... got a couple of random questions for you if you could help me out please

1/ the 3 outlets ontop of a mk2 tdi filter bracket.. which ones for what?? aperently 2 are filtered but one isnt?
    [​IMG]

2/ on the mk2 tdi sump theres a turbo oil return.. whats the thread/pitch for a fitting to suit?

2. BugginPaul Forum Member

1. I've not seen one with 3 fittings, but one is oil pressure, and another is the oil feed for the turbo!!

2. I'll have to check... I've got my spare pan out at the moment!!

3. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx Paul... from what i've been reading people use the top hole, closest to the block as the turbo feed then the other two for temp and pressure but wouldnt mind knowing for sure.. drawings help but vagcat dont go into them details...

At a guess i'm thinking the thread is 1/2 bsp? got some gauges but there no use nor aurnoment! ha

4. BugginPaul Forum Member

I've modified a mk1 golf GTi filter head to go on my block... gives me extra oil cooling as I'll be turning the boost up to 20ish psi!!

[​IMG]

I'm doing a proper franken build... 1.9 head, mk3 diesel alt, front mounted intercooler!!

[​IMG]

5. BugginPaul Forum Member

I had a measure of the oil return earlier, and it looks like it's a metric variant!! 1/2in bsp is 20.9mm, 5/8 is 22.9mm and the return measures bang on 22mm... I'll have a check of the thread pitch, and see what that is!!

ShaunyC likes this.
  6. BugginPaul Forum Member

Thread pitch is 1.5mm

7. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx mate :) gives me a couple of nuts I can aim at trying..

Sounds like abit of a smokey monster your building there with the "frankenturbo?"

8. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Cheers paul found my thread.. 5/8 bsp just the wrong fitting.. lol
    [​IMG]

anyone help out with the ports on the filtter bracket?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the wee ones? they're m10x1 :)

10. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Iye the wee 3 ontop.. which ones for what?? turbo feed etc..

11. rubjonny

i dont think it matters, afaik they're all tapped into the same part of the filter housing? on a 16v for example 2 would be oil pressure and 3rd would be for the oil temp. Just fit the pressure switch, oil temp (if you have one) and oil feed where they fit nicest :)

12. BugginPaul Forum Member

The oil feed for the turbo wants to be the centre one, as that is filtered oil... the outer 2 will be unfiltered!! :)

Yeah, the motor should be a little beast... it's one of the conversions that the guys over in the states do a lot :thumbup:

interesting that the 5/8bsp fits... I'll have to have a look at mine :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  13. rubjonny

ah yes if you look closely at it you can see the lower ones are on the outer bulge which is the unfiltered channel, then the upper one is on the top bulge which is the return feed back to the block. bplus looks to be the best one to use for the turbo in terms of position anyway!

14. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx chaps.. after i read about the hole's being m10 i went out to check as as the custom lines i'm coppying off say m12.... which he top/centre one is! so at least that the turbo sorted for a filtered supply :) still debating weather to put another filter inline?? but might drop the pressure too much?? i'll ccross this bridge later, lol