crank sprocket bolt

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nhoj62, Aug 27, 2010.

1. erantomer Forum Member

what does it mean that the bolt needs to be oiled?

2. danster Forum Addict

Oil under the head of the bolt where it sits against the pulley to help it slip and turn to get the correct thread torque. :thumbup:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I could print out the figures from ElsaWin if you like to PDF, its the proper VW electronic service repair manual

4. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I did not think that ElsaWin covered Mk2s John? My dealer tells me they use Autodata for Mk2s, which calls for 90 Nm + 180 deg!

5. danster Forum Addict

Early engines have a hex bolt and later ones the 12 point type.
    This could be the changeover between torque settings.

6. rubjonny

no but it covers the mk3 1.8-2.0 8v lump, which is the same as a MK2 is it not, same bolt and sprocket? for some reason i cant see an abf spec listed, but id be surprised if it was any different to the 8v spec

7. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Is ElsaWin a VAG product John?

I am begining to suspect than Bentleys and AutoData have miss-read the offical Factory description. On the micro fiche for the 2.0 L 8V 3A Audi 80, 1988 to 1992, the crank bolt instructions state:

90 Nm + 1/4 (90deg) turn - additional 1/4 (90 degree) turn may be done in more than one step. They may have misinterpreted this as two separate 1/4 turns?

I'd still love to see a 1992 micro fiche or hard copy VAG Manual for the Mk2 Golf!

Danny. Golf Mk2 Bentley states 3 different torque figures for 3 different types of bolt!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rubjonny

yeah ElsaWin is the proper vw electronic service manuals, as used in the VW dealership workshop. the reason mk2s arn't really covered is that vw is too lazy to go back and scan in all the microfich/hard copies and add them to Elsa :lol:

MK3s and newer are all covered, also includes audi, skoda and seat (if you download the data) :thumbup:

likewise though, only models from mid 90s ish are properly covered, earlier you go the more scarce the data becomes

9. danster Forum Addict

Three different torques for three different style bolts. ;)

One is hex head with separate washer, one is hex head with integral washer, and one is 12 point with integral washer.

Simples. [:D]

Only when you have wasted as much of your life as me stripping VW engines over the millennia could you come across all the variables. :lol: