Crankcase ventilation to exhaust

Discussion in 'Engines' started by EZ does it, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Is there some sort of tube entering the airflow in the exhaust, or have you literally just connected to the spare bung ?

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye it need the pipe going it the the flow of the exhaust
    And it would be Better if it was at the end of the y piece on the down pipe
    Before it meets the rest of the exhaust

That way you have the velocity of 4 cylinders not just the one

Edit had this on a mini I had will look a book out on this for you if you want

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. EZ does it Forum Member

I agree Pete, I might order up a pipe bending kit and then do a longer run so that the valve can be neatly mounted to something on/near the head. Glad to hear it helps with your brakes as well lol

Nige, it's just attached to the bung, no protrusion. My theory is that the normal layout pictured in my first post operates a little like a pitot tube facing downstream rather than up, and capitalises on dynamic pressure as well as static, as the flow is more steady after the collector, whereas fitting it so close to the exhaust valve allows it to capitalise on the large fluctuations on static pressure that occur there, hence no need for a protrusion. It's just a theory though and I can't really test it.

4. EZ does it Forum Member

You may well be right Mushy, I just did it like this because the bung was already there. If the exhaust had to come off then I'd consider welding another bung in after the collector as you say and trying that out too.

That book sounds interesting, I'd like to have a look at it if you can find it :thumbup: