Crankshaft swap, bearing shells

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by ronnie35, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ronnie35 Forum Member

So, Im fitting a 2.0 TFSI crank into another block but Im not sure on which shells to use as ETKA lists different options (I intend on buying genuine VAG shells). Unless someone suggests a worthy equivalent make of shell?

My understanding is that the shells (both upper and lower) are allocated to the block and main bearing cap respectively. The upper bearing shell is identified by the 5 letters stamped on the base of the block and lower main bearing shell is identified by the 5 letter code etched onto the crank.

So with that said (assuming its correct!) I believe I must specify crank bearing shells based on the block numbers and crank numbers of the block and original crank?

Crank has not had any previous grinding/resizing of journals

Hope that I have explained that correctly and any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Reian

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Hey fellow Celt, glad you're getting on with it. Hugo aka HPR would likely know, or that guy on Vortex I told you about.

3. ronnie35 Forum Member

Hey Tristan! Good to hear from you. Getting there, still lots to do but its going in the right direction :)

Good shout!

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

not my experience of VW 4 cyl engine building in general to have 'blueprinted' / selectively assembled bearings (wrong terms, but you know what I mean), but maybe the later stuff is more fussy. ??
    A parts supplier (eg Ferraris)/ engine reconditioner should have a catalogue which lists the default replacement parts. That's where I would look first. Even the dealer system may give you some clues, if your parts man is in a good mood and he can spare you the time.
    Jon

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Are you fitting a TFSI crank into a 06A 1.8T engine block to create a stroker?
    The journals in a TFSI crank are the same diameter as the 06A 1.8T crankshaft by the way.

6. ronnie35 Forum Member

I'm not to sure Jon, maybe I'd be better off with a set of ACL or similar shells instead of gen VAG.

2.0 TFSI crank into FSI Toyotec.

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

You may be right, I don't know, but if I was building your engine for myself, that's what I would do.
    Early days (1990's rallycross) big ends were a problem, knocking them out on EG engines with regular 8K. Now, with the advent of better full synth oils
    the problem seems to have gone away.
    IMHO
    Jon