custom MK1 bracket for MK2 bias valve - update: bracket made, oppinions?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by rubjonny, Mar 12, 2009.

1. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry and i dont mean to offend,it may work and pass mot but using a bit of dexion it looks like a home made bodge which has no place in a braking system,i think you should start again.

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

i was gona say the same , but he states its a template for getting something stronger made :thumbup:

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it was in thicker angle it would be fine, and I expect you were going to, but you need to weld a plate across the gap where you'd cut it, once you've got it bent to the shape you need.

4. CorradoVR6-Turbo

CorradoVR6-Turbo Forum Member

there is nothing you can fail a compensator valve on besides being siezed/leaking.

So if its sercure it will be fine for test.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes its not the best bit of engineering, I made it out of a bit of shalf bracketing :lol:
    reason is its quite thick but not too thick (so i can bend & cut it easily) plus it has lots of slotted holes in so i could move it about till I'm happy with he final positioning.

Since the bracket only needs to be made out of a flat bit o metal wi a few holes in, should be cheap to get made in something decent thickness :thumbup:

6. paul_c Forum Member

Somewhere, there is a shelf at a jaunty angle and all the stuff has rolled off it.....

7. rubjonny

:lol:

ok mate of mine popped over yesterday and can do me a bracket out of 4-5mm plasma-cut steel :thumbup:

8. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

any one making these brackets yet? as this is the route i plan to go on my mk1

9. rubjonny

hes not got round to doing it yet, I will keep you posted :)

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

coolio! drop me a pm when ready, im in no hurry as I have plenty of other jobs on the mk1 to do...

11. rubjonny

ok its on but im having trouble bleeding it up, either its the age old air in the rear calipers being a sod or it down to having the valve upside down. im pretty sure it should be ok as all the brake lines end up at the top of the valve, but can anyone see any other reason it might not bleed?

edit: actually looking at the picture a bit more closely, maybe there could be air trapped due to the angle of it... I'll have a closer look at it on the car.

12. rubjonny

:lol: Well I fixed my brakes :thumbup:

The reason was I had installed the servo non-return valve the wrong way, so I had no servo assist whatsoever, DOH [:$] :lol:

13. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

pics of the finished thing? also pm me a price [:D]

14. rubjonny

I dont have the finished bracket yet, I've had to stick to my engineering masterpiece for the time being to get the brakes all finished and bled :(

I plan to cut one out of metal myself before the MOT, I cant see the MOT man being happy with the shelving bracket there!

15. rubjonny

Well I have finally found the piccy I took, on my old camera stuffed in the depths of my garage! As you can see its as simple as simple can be, and its 5mm thick so its not gonna go nowhere. I'm stiull alive and have had to do some heavy braking thacks to all the muppet drivers here in Bracknell :lol:

I still have this bracket somewhere, as I got him to knock me up 2. You may have to slot the holes on it a bit, depending on how much lowering you have installed. Sorry M7 You've sold your MK1 now haven't you?

Also, note blood sacrifice evidence :thumbup:

[​IMG]