Custom MK2 Dials Group buy needed

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by rubjonny, Dec 10, 2003.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi all, I'm just wondering what kind of interest there is for a set of nice custom EL dial kits supplied by SpeedHut

The problem is the MK2 set they have will not fit my car as I have the 1-7k RPM guage with the fuel gauge in the bottom and temp above the MFA. Speedhut will make a new kit if there are 15-20 other people with an interest.

The base price is $49.95 which works out to just under 30, anyone interested? How about the thought of your dials doing this at night to convince you: :p
    [​IMG]
    Edited by: rubjonny

2. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

I've got Speedhut dials like those on my MK3 and I can vouch for the quality. I have a couple of pics of them fitted if anyone want's to see them.

3. can you get them with the red back light, like audi's?

4. damogti Forum Junkie

Would love to see some pics please Gav ;)

I may be inetrested.......

Do they replace the hole dial pod or just individual dials that are swapped out from the originals(if you know what i mean [:$] )??

5. rubjonny

Check out the speedhut website and visit the custom dials section, they have a wizard you can play with. And yes you can have red :)

Its just a dial kit like the lockwood ones you used to get, only you have an inverter to power em that needs to be squeezed behind the dash somehow
    Edited by: rubjonny

6. damogti Forum Junkie

You got the site address mate??

7. rubjonny

8. fastblonde Forum Member

Damn! i wanted to get some red ones for before xmas but didn't know where to go [:^(]

9. damogti Forum Junkie

Lol :lol: Thansk mate ;)

10. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Warning the pics are huge.. sorry..

site#

top left is with blue LED front lighting..but it's too bright.
    Botom left is with no front lighting...makes seeing the needles impossible to see.

I've changed the front lighting since they were taken though.

I'm working on a way of backlighting the needles (as in the MK4 I thing).

I've wired then into the power on the instruments so the dimmer still works... which is when I had problems getting the front lighting to work as I wanted.

Edited by: gbolton

11. rubjonny

Cant you paint the needles with photoreactive paint? If you wanna get backlit needles you could get some clear platic needles from another car, and wire up a couple of small LEDs somewhere, could work :)

12. Bunzooli New Member

Count me in. How many takers have you had already?
    Cheers,
    Al

13. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

I did try UV paint but the gauges are white and glowed too, which I ddn't want

I used these as a guide
    Edited by: gbolton

14. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Am working on doing this

15. Dietrich Forum Member

If I had a revometer I'd be tempted. [:$]

Tom

16. rubjonny

bumpag?

17. They look nice :thumbup:

Kinda like audi S3 dials.

Edited by: harry_the_cake

18. pigbladder Forum Addict

id be intrested :pwe should get em while the exchange is good [:D]

19. MUSH Forum Member

id be well interested aswell, they look well cool. send some info about them and are they just a direct swap? is there a space for the mfa guage?

20. rubjonny

They are a direct swap we just need a set made up for the different versions of the MK2 tachometer. At the moment all they have is this