CV Boot guidance

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by panzer, Nov 11, 2003.

1. panzer New Member

I have just bought a few new parts for my 1990 8v gti:
    CV boot kit x2 (outer)
    ball joints x2
    wishbone & bushes x2
    front wheel bearing kit x2
    front wheel hub x2

I am hoping to do the work myself as it's going to work out pretty expensive if i get my local garage to do it.
    I would appreciate any advice on how to go about it and what special tools i will need.

2. panzer New Member

Surely someone must have some experience in fitting these parts. My local garage has quoted 160 +vat for fitting it all as well as fitting new cambelt & tensioner. Is this a reasonable price?

Any feedback would be appreciated. :(

3. The Other Simon Forum Member

Yes that is a reasonable price.

The cmabelt alone should be around 80, and some of the parts that you want fitting are tricky. Doing them all at the same time is a very good idea.

The first fun job is to remove the hub nut, there are variety of ways of doing this, but air tools are the real way to go.

The balljoints are a bit nasty, and sometimes the wishbones can be too.

Have you thought of changing the roll bar bushes as well, while you are at it?

And you'll need a tracking and camber check afterwards.

Simon.

4. panzer New Member

Thanks for getting back Simon.

Sounds as if i best leave it to my garage. When you refer to the roll bar bushes are you refering to where the roll bar connects to each of the wishbones? Where can you get these from and what is the cost?

How much is the going rate for tracking & camber?

Thanks for getting back so quickly, i never seem to get much feeback so its nice to finally get a reply.

:)

5. zak. Forum Member

tracking and camber is usually 50 which seems to be a standard rate at most places you go.

If you do decide to do it yourself you will need to get a press to get the bearings in to the hub. Ususally you can take them to a garage and they will charge you a few quid to press them in for you.

i8 don't know about the mk2 but the above work is pretty straight forward on a mk1 and i would recomend you do it yourself as you will learn something and also save money.

The only special tools that you will need are a splined tool to undo the bolts on the cv joint and a long pole to use over a ratchet to help you undo the hub nut as it is done up quite tight.

6. shadowman Forum Member

You've chosen to do some b**stard jobs there mate, if a garage has quoted 160 to do that lot I would pay the money.

I recently did a front wheel bearing, paid a VW garage to do the other side though and they charged me 185 just for that.

Lot of money but I gladly paid to avoid the hassle.

7. The Other Simon Forum Member

Panzer,

You're right about the roll bar bushes. You can get them from ECP/GSF or VW. About 8 a side from memory.

I suggested them as they are about the only bit of rubber you are not replacing already, and they don't cost much.

You might want some new bearings to go in your new hubs - 10 ish a side.

I still think some of those jobs are unpleasant, and not a good place to start learning. 200 (160+vat) is a good price for the number of hours it will take you.

Simon.

8. rexy New Member

Just a little Tip for the Hub Nut - While the car is still on 4 wheels Loosen the Hub Nuts with a Strong arm Or Your rachet and a piece of scaff pole. You could use a door bar from a rollcage if you have one lying around lol... :p This makes life a lot easier once the cars been jacked up and the front wheels are off.

Rex
    [|)]