CV Failure.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Nige, Jun 15, 2009.

1. paul_c Forum Member

Exactly! Everyone thinks the 02A is a straight swap, but its not, there's a small difference in the width and you need to take this into account or your CVJs get stressed. Normally they float around 20mm each anyway, so 99% of people are running them close to the limit of its float, in blissful ignorance....

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I don't have any pictures but might be able to help slightly.
    in the mk 1 with 02A box, i'd had handling issues and noise issues on turning one way. didn't have a fail but needed to check week pior to ring trip 08!

I ended up stripping both inner CV joint, cleaning all grease out and mounting on drive shaft and bolting everything up

I was able to take basic visual inspection before getting out the vernia guage out

on the NS the CV was deffently too close the flange, right on the inner part of travel, the OS was right on the outer edge

Result I needed to move whole engine 10mm 'ish toward OS, to get equal end float in shafts (I made that sound easy, just move it ! I'd fitted mk4 type engine mounts!)

Worth trying , to back up your mesurments on the actual parts

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Crispy, I loosened all the bolts and tried to move the engine, but it didn`t shift.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

were the new c/vs VAG parts? I'm thinking it was fine till you corrected the camber which was the feather that broke the camels back as they say :lol:

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

@RJ - Post #6 - GSF ones

@Nige - nice handy hint on the threaded bar. Top tips!

Interesting, as I've got what I think is an inner CV joint knocking on the trackday Scirocco.

I recently had a conversation with a mate who helps with the prep on a 205GTI challenge rally car - The owner changed the CV's for new aftermarket ones. They both failed within 2 events. Put the 100k mile old OEM ones back on and they're fine.

You may well have found the problem, but if it was mine, I'd stick the old OEM CV's back on, if you've got decent ones.

6. rubjonny

*adjusts glasses, ah yes!

7. paul_c Forum Member

The difference in flange spacing effectively removes the ability of the CVJ to float.

I suspect GSF replacement ones are a slightly different engineering spec than the original, which would work okay (but using up some of the float, which would normally be available) if it were not for the flange spacing issue. Basically, there's many different variations of CVJ but companies like GSF consolidate different variations into one available part, for stock control reasons. Choose a model of car (eg Mk1 Golf convertible), look at ETKA and count the number of different part numbers on there, then look at the GSF website and count the number available!

8. Nige

Edited, original text will be back soon.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. paul_c Forum Member

Can someone clarify the flange spacing on an 020 and 02A? I think that would be a good starting point.

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Not totally valid but for both 020 flange sizes, the 100mm flanges are deeper and have the outer edge sitting further out than the 90mm ones do from the diff. So even changing between flange types on the same box would cause an issue for a mk1 user.

Gurds

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Also check this driveshaft lengths thread - there is some question about differing Mk2 Golf driveshaft lengths in there.
    Agree entirely.

I will try to get 02A/J.

Can anyone get 020? (both with 90mm and 100mm driveshaft flanges).

Where there's a small outer ridge on the flanges, ignore it. It's the bolt up face that counts, so adjust off the millimetre or two of the ridge.

12. rubjonny

so happens i have a diff and some cups lyin about somewhere, will dig it out and we shall see

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Could even be worn engine mounts, movement changing the clearances in the shafts/cv's.

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've just read in again after having a brain wave, thought you'd also just fitted the quaife and had issues within 100 miles

re read first post, dismissed what going to say!

15. Nige

;)

I`ve got an 020 and 02A box, i`ll measure the flange spacing for future info :thumbup:

I checked the engine mounts and can`t find any particular issues.

16. rubjonny

I'll let you do the measuring then, my spare box is in bits!