Dad in Mk3 GTI handbrake trouble !

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Dragon1975, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Dragon1975 New Member

My old man has a early mk3 GTI 8v ( good lad ! ) on a J plate, recently failed the mot on the hand brake not working properly on the near side.

Chap in the garage said it is likely to be the caliper, so we have changed that but it has made no difference...

any thoughts or tip on what to do next ?

Thanks

S

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

old/stretched cable? is the cable adjusted correctly on the caliper? are you sure the new caliper is ok?

3. Dragon1975 New Member

the replacement caliper is a new one from a local factors ? if the cable is stretched can I adjust ?

thanks

S

4. Dragon1975 New Member

My Dad fixed the problem and wrote this if for anyone with a similar issue:

The mechanism had somehow become detached inside the calliper proven by the movement of the hand brake lever at the calliper having no effect on the movement of the piston.

I am NOT saying I am CORRECT [if you know better – please tell] but here is what I did:

Removed the spring [the lever is now free floating and is obviously not connected to anything]

Removed the stop bolt [carefully and slowly so as not to strip the thread]

From the fully in position I unscrewed the piston out three or four mm.
    I could now move the lever beyond the position allowed by the stop bolt, so, holding the lever in [and beyond] the handbrake off position I screwed the piston into the bore until the adjuster thread [?] inside the bore relocated into or onto the cam mechanism which I imagine must be there though not shown in any manual that I have seen. [Closely guarded secret?] I tested at this stage to make sure the piston moved out when I moved the lever to the ‘Brake on’ position, as [oddly] it can work in reverse depending on the position of the lever at the start. Re-fitted stop bolt and spring refitted calliper, held breath, stomped on the foot brake, tested hand brake – it worked!

5. Gti1990xyz Forum Member

Hi,
    looking for some advice, failed MOT on Mk2 golf - handbrake.

Seems caliper was applying handbrake lightly before I started meddling with it. I've made it worse. I think my mk2 golf has mk3 calipers as that was a common fix/upgrade. Can I somehow repair my caliper or does it need a new one or service kit etc? I tried Dragon1975 fix above but it did not work. Bled brakes after.

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just put a new Caliper on? You can get them on eBay for like £25

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I have to agree with Sam, get another caliper and save yourself the ball ache.

8. Gti1990xyz Forum Member

Ok, thanks, will do.

9. Gti1990xyz Forum Member

New caliper sorted the problem.

Oh, had to buy a flaring tool and brake pipe spanner!