Daily driver / Classic insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Gezzard, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Gezzard New Member

It's renewal time soon, and my MK2 driver is currently insured with elephant.co.uk, now the renewal price is 732!

I know the fella I bought it from had it insured on a classic policy which cost him 88 for the year.

I use my Golf every day, going to work etc, but is it possible to insure it as my daily driver on some kind of classic car policy?

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

How old are you ?

If your 25 or over, I'd use Greenlight. My Mk2 with all the modification declared including the 1.8T engine conversion ect cost me 300 all in. :)

Tony@Greenlight likes this.
  3. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

It needs to be a second car with your main car insured in your name and you won't be covered for to and from work/daily driver,
    miles are limited on classic policies also.
    Think they have pushed the age up to 30 now.
    Which is all good as it keeps young retards who can't drive from ruining it for the rest of us :)
    Apart from that its great :thumbup:

4. harryvr6 Forum Member

Hi, try hic, I'm with them on a modified classic policy, with commuting included, limited mileage though.

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Seen as its a daily driver, as I suggested above, Greenlight will most definitely offer you the best price :thumbup:

6. Gezzard New Member

Cheers, and I am getting on a bit - 37.

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm 36 and pay HIC 158 for an 8,000 mile classic policy on a 1989 8v GTI.

8. sparks03 Forum Member

Give Peter James insurance a call. My Mk2 is insured with an unlimited mileage policy for 151.

9. Tony@Greenlight

Tony@Greenlight Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hi Gezzard,

Judging by the premium i'm guessing you're quite young, or have zero NCB.

Classic car policies are preferentially rated, leisure use policies aimed at genuine classic models (which the MK2 would definitely be classed as) that are not used as a daily workhorse. Most classic car Underwriters will either require you to own a 2nd car for everyday use, or failing that cover a low annual mileage.

There are alternative options available, depending upon your mileage requirement, NCB level and the value of your vehicle. We also cater for modifications in a sensible way.

We'd welcome the chance to take a look at this for you, so if you're still looking for cover for your MK2 Driver we'll be able to run through what we can do.

To reach us, you can either call 01277 650866 (9am-6pm monday-friday, 9am-1pm saturday), apply online at www.greenlightinsurance.co.uk or PM me your details and we'll call to run through this with you.

Kind regards

Tony

10. InformalMrTom

InformalMrTom Forum Member

I'm 29 (28 when I got the car) all insurers were quoting anything above 1K per year apart from Lancaster who quoted me 430 fully comp. Had my licence for nearly 8 years, but haven't driven until now, if that makes any difference. http://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/

11. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I have managed a massive 6miles since I took out a limited mileage policy on my Modded golf a few months ago. Benefits of a company car.. And being old I guess

12. Tony@Greenlight

Hi Slim,

Hopefully you'll get a few more chances to use the Golf when spring/summer comes around next year.

With the continuous Insurance enforcement law introduced by the government, these days you either have to declare the vehicle offroad using SORN or have valid Insurance cover upon your vehicle. Which is where you've made the smart choice of selecting a limited mileage cover policy, as they come in useful to keep the cost of Insurance down.

They have all the features of the everyday policies and where you've a decent driving history (company car record Included) your NCB can be mirrored to the second vehicle, meaning you're given credit for what you've accrued under your main everyday vehicle.

The mileage bandings start from 1000 miles upward and you can also top up more miles as, or if required.

Trackday cover, like for like replacement of modified parts and agreed value are also all options that are available.

We've been involved with Club GTi and covering performance/classic VW models since 1996.

We'd welcome the opportunity to compete when you're next looking for cover :thumbup:

Kind regards

Tony

13. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I got a quote from you guys and although it was slightly more expensive (15) I would have used you as your cover seemed great with the options of extra mods etc
    But I was put off by the larger deposit
    I think you guys wanted something like 120 deposit then a monthly payments
    As I did not have this at the time I went for the other company due to a 30 deposit

With hindsight I should have waited as I did not need the insurance, I liked the way your company was knowledgeable about my car and seemed like a less commercial company
    With flux I Was transferred 3 times to wrong people and the whole experience was so clinical
    Next time eh?

14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'll give you a try when mine is due Tony :thumbup:

15. Tony@Greenlight

Thanks 1990,

We'd welcome the chance to take a look at this for you.

PM me when your renewal arrives and we'll let you know what we can do.

Kind regards

Tony