Damaged spark plug thread, repairable?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by steve r, Oct 24, 2005.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

A Friend has been offer a mk3 16v for a cheap price as it has a damaged spark plug thread on one of the cylinders.

Rather than putting a new head on he was wondering if the existing one could be repaired using a helicoil insert or similar?

anyone done this or got p/n, size of heliciol info.

cheers

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Best bet`s to take a spar plug round a few local engineering shops, garages and check they have a kit to do it with. Helicoils are ok but there`s a chance you can wind them back out on a plug change, put some coppa-slip in the plug threads befor you fit them.

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I think he's going to look into the availability of helicoils in the correct size. we don't stock them this big at work [:x]

my other concern would be drilling out the hole and tapping it accept the helicoil with swarf getting into the cylinder and the small 'tang' that you break off after winding the helicoil in falling in as he doesn't want to remove the head.

4. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

I blew out a sparkplug on a PB engine about two years ago. Had it done by (of all folks, the AA Service peeps at Halfords...) using a helicoil, with the head in situ.

I had no problem with it at all - even during plug changes etc - you wouldn't even know it's there.

They only had the car for about two hours - think it cost 80 all in.

5. apriliaandy Forum Member

you can get hold of self locking helicoils too which don't have the tang on em.

6. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Ive used this type before and would be ideal for sparkplug thread.
    tangs at top get knocked down between insert and material they screw into to lock in position,they are stainless and supposedly stronger than original thread.
    And as said ordinary helicoils are ok in some applications especially blind holes but not for sparkplug hole.
    Wouldn`t fancy doing it with head on car tbh.But I suppose it could be done.
    [​IMG]

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

16v plug holes are a lot lower in the head than the 8v too.

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

so how do people keep the swarf out when doing it in situ??

i spose you could carb cleaner it before and airline it so its clean n dry....then try to hoover it out with a little nozzle??