Damn water leak! Help!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by dragonfly, Oct 17, 2012.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

I've had a search on the site and read quite a few threads on how water gets into the car. My problem is this; when it rains heavily the edge of the transmission tunnel (passenger side) gets wet as does the floor just after it rises upwards towards the bulkhead. The floor, soundproofing and carpet are all wet yet the rest of that area is fine. There is no signs of water coming from anywhere up top. The sunroof channels are clear, there is no water getting past the door seals or door cards, the scuttle panel channels are clear, the heater blower is clear, there are no grommets missing or perished, the hard plastic plug on the scuttle is sealed, the heater matrix is fine, I am not losing any coolant or screenwash so where the hell is water coming from?! It's got me stumped! :cry:

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Any rusty bits along the panel immediately below the bottom edge of the windscreen rubber?

3. Matt48 Forum Member

all this rain and mine has sprung its first leak in ages,, my cubbyhole and passenger foot well get wet.

I'll be pouring more captain tolley creeping crack cure in around the rubber seal on the windscreen, between rubber and metal not glass and rubber.

Available from chandlerys it's meant for boats!!!

4. Matt48 Forum Member

and it sorts my car out, there use to be some seal made by comma for cars but all modern cars are glued in

5. Admin Guest

Sometimes it's worth taking the dash out to check the condition of bottom edge of the windscreen, mine looked fine from the outside but when I did finally take the dash out a small hole was found.

Another golf I have had a leak that I didn't find for ages - it was a rusty sunroof drain pipe where it joins into the rubber one taking it down through the headlining. You can just undo enough of the headlining to check if it needs repair. I managed to repair it and solved the leak. It drips down the inside of the car with no trace but a wet floor.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys. It's almost as if someone had just poured water on it as there's no tell tale signs of where the leak is coming from. I've heard and seen Captain Tolley's stuff so might try that along the edge of the screen.

7. Matt48 Forum Member

seek and seal was the comma stuff but no one seems to have it, it had a better viscosity than capt tolley