Dash lights not working?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Jackman1994, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Hey!
    Only one of my dash lights worked but was really dim. I've tried changing the bulbs, now none of them work, I know the bulbs work as this is the second set of bulbs I've tried. The plugs that go into the bottom of the dash looked like they might of been chopped up abit, theres not many wires going into them. I tried another Scirroco dash but it had the MFA display on it. When this one was in I still had no dash lights and the oil warning light flashed as soon as it got up to temperature. My scirocco has got an ABF engine so not sure what difference this would make to the dash? Any opinions on anything I could try?
    Thanks, Jack! :thumbup:

2. blis Forum Member

That is definitely a ground problem. Ensure steering column bolt is tight (because that caused a year of intermittent cooling lights flashing) and perhaps run an earth from the earth block to the pilar ground

3. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Okay thanks for your reply, I hadn't thought of that and will definitely give it a go, what do you mean by earth block? and pilar ground? Like what physical parts are they?

4. blis Forum Member

There's an earth block up near the steering column and there's a ground point on the other side of the fuse box on the pillar.

20160615_125700.jpg

20160617_120821.jpg

5. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Okay cheers mate will have a gander!!

6. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Sorry mate hate to sound like an idiot but as this has been converted there's kind off wires everywhere. The first picture is below the steering wheel in the top of the drivers footwell? The second picture is over the other side in the passengers footwell by the fusebox? Cheers!

7. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Scrap that, sorted it now! Thankyou for all your help!