Dash speaker wiring query

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by rowleypoo57, Jul 5, 2010.

1. rowleypoo57 New Member

My alpine head unit loom only has connecting wires for front and rear speakers. How have people wired their's in? Is it just a case of splicing into the front speaker wires?

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Depends what set-up you've got, my dash speakers are now tweeters that run off a crossover, if you splice into the wiring you could lose a bit of sound quality and a drop in power being feed to each speaker, the dash speakers are normally ruddy awful as it is without making them worse!

3. rowleypoo57 New Member

Yeah my dash speakers are definitly standard and the wiring for them is still the original with the bullet head type connectors. Are you using an amp on your setup?

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I use an amp but only for my sub, the head unit feed's the crossovers that I've mounted at the bottom of the dash that then sends signal to the tweeter's in the top dash location's and the mids in custom front door pockets, the headunit rear output runs some 6x9's in the back, have a look at some components for the front and ditch the rubbish standard set-up :thumbup:

5. minimattez New Member

has the mk2 got the same wiring principle as the mk3? if so the tweekers in the dash need to be disconnected and bridged in order to work the front door speakers. I dropped in pioneer speakers with remote tweeter so i didnt loose any gain, disconnected the rear speakers, and then amp for my sub.