Dashboard help on golf mk2 TDI swap

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Mixa90, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mixa90 New Member

I have some questions , if anybody knows
    Can I use a golf mk2 dashboard on TDI engine?
    I have the new instalation , my mk2 had 2nd faze instalation , dashboard has only 1 connector . Can I leave my dashboard?
    I have done all conversion , all engine instalation is swap from golf mk3 . Engine is 1.9 TDI 1Z and gearbox is also from the mk3 it is 5speed CTN . Anyone knows anything about that please write

thank you

2. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

it is easier to fit the mk3 instrument cluster to the mk2

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can, a set of mk2 diesel clocks would work if you ran a wire from the alternator pin W back to the fusebox.

or you might find the mk3 TDI rev counter signal could be converted to a mk2 petrol signal with an msd rev counter adaptor? but im not sure if the MK3 diesel rev counter signal is the same as mk3 petrol:
    http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=440379

the alternative is run the W wire as above but convert the mk2 petrol clocks to accept the diesel signal:
    http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=3741.0

4. LregG

What about the speedo? The CTN, being an 02a will have the electric speed sensor.

5. rubjonny

unscrew the 3 pin plug from the 02a/j sender, fit mk2 1.3 speedo cable :)

6. LregG

thanks RJ

i want to keep the cruise control function on mine which is already within the AHU ecu...so for this reason, i'll be using the mk3 clocks as the vss needs to stay in the box

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  7. rubjonny

use the speed output from mk2 cluster, same signal as the speed output from the mk3 clocks. the speed signal for the ecu, cruise etc doesnt come from the gearbox, it comes from the clocks ;)

8. Steve B Forum Junkie

rubjonny, do you have some kind of photographic memory, im pretty sure you answer every thread on this forum lol!

9. LregG

So, a 1.3 cable to the speedo and then use the speed output from the clocks to the ECU for the cruise control?

10. rubjonny

yarp exactly, its pin w/1 on the fusebox. only thing is if its not got gti clocks you need to fit some, or swap the little speed sensor off a GTI speedo onto your clocks

11. LregG

Those of us not so handy with a soldering iron that want to keep the gti clocks, the only hurdle is the Rev counter but this is overocome by the use of a dakota dsl-1 diesel alternator w post to petrol tachometer converter as rj has mentioned elsewhere (available on eBay for 68 delivered including the dreaded import duty)

12. rubjonny

the only thing im not sure on is the rev signals for the various diesel clocks in the mk3, the n/a and td ones use the w pin from the alternator so we know about that, but the TDI clocks get the signal from the TDI ecu. now is this also a W terminal type signal or is it different? I've not heard of MK3 tdi clocks being special in any way so i would assume that it is a W signal. the part numbers all differ in etka though...

trouble with TDI is it doesnt have a W pin on the alternator so you would need to open it and add one if it turns out the ecu signal isnt a W type. I dont think its as simple as swapping another diesel alt on either as the TDI makes use of the DFM pin, and I'm not sure how crucial that is for the TDI ecu to work properly...

13. LregG

Darn it...thought it was going to be easy with the o.e. gti clocks then

14. rubjonny

well if the ecu signal isnt a W then i would assume its same as a petrol mk3, in which case you would use the MSD tach adaptor that all the 20v boys use :)

15. rubjonny