Data logging what kit ? How expensive?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Sirguydo, May 21, 2014.

1. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

When watching track guys like Nige and Gurds you have a data logging set up.
    Are they worth the money ? Are the difficult to fit? How much do they cost? Where do I buy one from?
    Do I need it on a 16v ?

All advice very much appreciated :thumbup:

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

This requires a longer answer. I`ve been asked this by several people, quite a few this year. I`ll give it a proper response later and go into more details about what you can / can`t use and the benefits & costs.

In a nutshell, if you have a smartphone, Android or iPhone, you can get basic datalogging easily for GPS position and speed which for most purposes is fine.

Adding ECU logging is a different thing and video is a minefield !

3. Sirguydo

We are all looking forward to your expert opinion master Nigelol:thumbup:

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

On newer vehicles you can add some items using a bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and then your phone can access these
    So on harrys laptimer you could add some extra fields , but its a bit limited

i have played with this on the Mk5 , and the latest version of laptimer on andriod does video and i ditched the phone GPS and used a external one , much much better

5. Sirguydo

I think decathlon are doing a GPS bicycle speedo /logger for 15 thought that would be ok to start with but want an opinion on the good stuff don't mind spending a few quid but hundreds will need a lot of cost benefit to make me buy:thumbup:

My mistake it's 20 and not gps[8(]I'm a dumbo lol

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. Peter Jones Forum Member

Data logging is a very complex subject. There's some good books on the subject that might start you off.

[​IMG]

I'm an electronic engineer and it was still a very steep learning curve for me to set it up and drive the analytical software.

I was lucky to pick up a cheap Race Technology DL1 and Dash2 combo which I integrated with a DTA s60 ECU.

All engine parameters are logged on the DL1 via the ECU CAN bus. This includes oil and fuel pressure, RPM, Lambda, oil temp, water temp, throttle position, injector duty cycle even stuff like fuel consumption if you set it up..

G force is logged with the internal accelerometer in the DL1.

Heading, altitude and speed via the DL1 GPS.

I've got pressure senders in the front and rear brake circuits so I can setup bias.

I also log the brake light circuit and battery voltage.

Having the dash lets me chose what info is in front of me and set thresholds for alert messages.

In the future I'd like to setup steering angle and individual wheel speed sensors.

My domain expertise is in video so I've also got a bunch of Go-Pros I've played with over the years.

If you can figure out how to stick all those bits together you can do stuff like this.

[video=youtube_share;fZ5TXoxuNaM]http://youtu.be/fZ5TXoxuNaM[/video]

Dex likes this.
  7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Megasquirt, tuner studio, GPS should do it. You can also use msdroid on you android phone.

8. Sirguydo

My speedo doesn't work so just wanted basic telemetry and maybe oil pressure and temp logs and water and rev and speed logs don't have boost yetlol think I'll keep my race car pretty much standard once sorted and maybe buy or track prep another onelol

Is there any point fitting mega squirt to a kr ?

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not for the sake of capturing basic telemetry.

If there is no engine management system (EMS), oil pressure, engine speed, and ambient, manifold and coolant would have to be sent as separate measurements to the device performing the data capture.

If the spec of the KR, is such that you require a specific torque curve, which cannot be achieved by the use of the standard mechanical system and fixed ignition table, then yes perhaps any suitable EMS/SEM can be used, with the added benefit of exporting steamed data to a logger, such as the measurables above, with some ECUs allowing an additional input for say a lambda value or an oil pressure value or even their own internal logger. These can then be streamed from one source to an external data logger and the CSV file can be exported/converted to a video.

Logging really depends on why you require data, not easily captured during a drive or by just observing a live screen.
    Very invaluable to professional engine control calibrators, where we can log up to 400 measurements at cylinder fire rate or 10ms on a cycle or drive.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  10. Sirguydo

So roughly how much to do mega squirt? And how long?

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I do not have the time to build Megasquirts anymore. I do actively encourage those with a genuine interest to build them yourself following the instructions, I have given on here as well as following sites such as Phil' excellent EFI Extra.

You can pick these up ready made or on ebay from an unfinished project.

I do say though, if wires, patience, "you think it is cheap so I will have a go" and general engine control configuration is not your thing, then forget it and just buy any SEM from the likes of Emerald, DTA, OMEX etc.

Sirguydo likes this.
  12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yep megasquirt isn't for everyone.

Sirguydo likes this.
  13. AjVR Forum Member

Are the GPS transponders that accurate for lap timing. Has anyone tested theirs vs a beacon type ?

Looking for something that shows fastest lap and prior lap.

14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Have seen racechrono app in use with a GPS unit and it work really well. Even does sector times.

Ben S likes this.
  15. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Wheel speed is a useful one, if you can get it - checking across the front axle and if you are lifting a rear wheel, for example.
    Throttle/brake position is also handy.
    Some of the good stuff will not need GPS to plot the map accurately. GPS is mainly used to double-check the map constructed from the G-Force sensor (from what I understand) - you wont get GPS that will be able to position your car on an apex or 10cm away from it.

Not that I have it on my own car, but I have worked on the Pi Cosworth stuff at times - Mini Challenge and Clio Cup.

Personally, I think some of the best information you can get as a driver is split-times throughout a lap (+/-) and a decent shift light - then go testing.
    The rest is mainly useful for checking the driver feedback!!! Also, Data is much more useful if you can compare different drivers - So when you get some data logging, let an instructor have a go and then overlay that data with your own - providing he/she is faster.

16. AjVR Forum Member

I have a mylaps transponder but do they run the sensors to activate it on test days ?

Sam what do you use for your laps and split?

17. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I take my own beacon which is preset to an SPA laptimer for testdays. It is stuff that has been around for ages, but is nice and reliable - nothing fancy.
    It has a memory but doesn't do splits unfortunately....
    I use this for shift lights:
    http://www.aceserve.co.uk/

To get splits, you either have to put a few beacons around the track or use a GPS receiver to create its own split sectors (decent kit will allow you to choose how many sectors, and where they are) I haven't looked for my own equipment to be honest, but I bet there are some decent kits out there now. I imagine racelogic, SPA or AIM will be a good place to start - I have seen these in a few cars: http://www.racedatasystems.com/aim-solo-gps-lap-timer.html

For more money, an 'AIM' or 'Pi Cosworth' Dash system is the dogs danglies - if you can get the sensors on the car.

Lots here:
    http://www.racedatasystems.com/

:thumbup:

18. Nige

Very accurate. :thumbup:

19. Nige

For my datalogging/video capture I use the following

• GoPro HD Hero 3 for incar / external video. Hitachi HDSV01U HD 50 camera for driver / rear video.
    • GPS Data is via a Performance Box PBox 10Hz GPS. Before that, I used a Qstarz BT-Q818X 5HZ Bluetooth GPS, this connected to my phone and was used to record GPS data that I later looked at to compare laps / corners and add speed to my video
    • ECU Data is taken care of by Trev16`s excellent MSDroid software on my phone. This is something I recently added and requires a suitable ECU and logging system. For normal trackday stuff, it`s a nice to have but not vital.

The various data is then put together using RaceRender software, which allows picture in picture, overlay of ECU data such as Throttle, RPM and GPS data to show speed, position & G

If you want to actually compare laps, look at differing lines etc, I find the Performance Tools software is good, but the Circuit tools software better. This does require the data in a recognisable format which isn`t always possible with some aftermarket GPS stuff.

Do you want nice looking videos ? Data to interrogate during the lap / after ? It`s easy to add too much info to a video and you need to choose what makes it more interesting / useful to watch. IMO.

20. Sirguydo

So what sort of dosh are we talking ? 200 ,300 or a 1000 as I've never even heard of the stuff you're talking about Nige[:s]

Is this the sort of thing I want ? Nearly said need but don't neeeeed it to make car work do I lol
    [​IMG]

Any comments please

To clarify I want this for my cup car that runs kjet :thumbup:

Last edited: May 26, 2014