Dave on - A visit to Hong Kong 1998

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dave, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I read a lot of military history, and I have done so for 62 years.

Today I am reading about a National Service Man who was in Malaya during 1958 and 1959. He was posted to Hong Kong for a month, and stayed in barracks, in Kowloon.

So. As I had stayed in Kowloon in 1999 the book got the 'very' old memory working! The big difference was, he was in British Army Barracks, and I stayed in The Panda hotel.

Now, I was great friends with everyone at Butterleys, especially the Managing Director's Secretary. When everyone was 'ordered' to travel Economy Class, including Directors, I always flew at least Business. I refused to fly Economy, and if the Directors did not like it, I would refuse to go!

Now. In 1999 I was responsible for Engineering the "Hong Kong - Kowloon" Railways Tunnel Fire Doors. I had to visit Hong Kong to finalise the contract. The Chinese wanted a Director, but the MD told them that I was in charge, and would be totally responsible.

I had a great week there. (except for catching campylobacter from eating food from the local Chinese street vendors.)

This is what my room was like. My room had French Doors that lead straight out to the swimming pool!

PANDA 1.jpg

PANDA 2.jpg
    There was no massive TV at the end of the bed, just a giant mirror. I took a photo of myself in the mirror, I shall have to dig it out.

This is the Fire Door. It worked but, the Froggy designed one, in the Chunnel, did not!!!!!

hk-k image.png

hk-k description.png

dragonfly, afbiker02 and Cressa like this.
  2. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

SDa, That's very impressive.

3. Dave

Ta so SSon.

I have not forgotten you Lee as I follow all of your posts.

Best wishes SDa.

afbiker02 likes this.
  4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Not with the Managers Secretary? ;)

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting :thumbup:

Dave likes this.
  5. Dave

I cannot as yet find the photo. I have searched two large boxes and still have couple to go. I would like to find it because I took it when I first became ill with Campylobacter. I look really rough. Well, more so than usual! (When I turned up at the airport, for the return flight, BA wanted to put me up in a hotel with a doctor on call until I was better because I looked so ill that they were afraid I might die on the plane. I AM NOT JOKING! I wanted to get home as soon as possible so refused. On the flight, I had a steward looking after me all of the time. After take off he took me up to the First Class Lounge and he brought me water and a little soft fruit, as I could not eat solids. I was in delirium most of the flight so it passed quickly.)

With regard to Jean, the MD's secretary, I mentioned her only because she booked all flights and hotels. Flying she would book whatever I asked for, usually BA Business Class. As to hotels, she knew I liked to stay at small hotels, or guesthouses, as I hated 5 Star Hotels. For Kowloon she said I had to stay in the Panda because she knew that I was susceptible to both heat and insect bites. Thus, a sealed, and air conditioned room, it had to be. Thing is that early in the morning, and late in the evening, Kowloon is not too hot. I used to get up around 07.00 and go for a walk about as the sir-con limo picked me up at 08.30. Not too far from the hotel was a street full of Chinese shops and food vendors. There was also a large indoor market where ever-other stall sold food. Now, to my mind 5 Star food is just basic restaurant food, same-old, same-old. I like to try any, and all, ethnic food, when I travel. (In Bradford I lived in an area where there were a lot of Pakistani Restaurants so I have been eating hot curries, with chapatis, since 1968.)

Anyways-up.
    Below some images of the Fire Doors.
    Now, I have to tell you that every Machine System that I designed, at Butterley, were entirely my own design. I never looked at ANY other designs of a similar nature. When I designed the Fire Doors I had no idea why the French units failed. I have yet to find out what 'exactly' their design was like.

Hydraulic Jacks that raised the door wheels up to track level.These did not need a redundant system as the drive units were powerful enough to drag the wheels out of the gap in the rails.
    IMG_2706.JPG

The doors in their galvanised beauty!
    IMG_2705.JPG

The mounts for the drive units. I used two drive units that were able to drag the wheels out of the gap in their running rails. I also fitted a manual winch system just in case! The yellow beam is to easily permit removal of the drive units for maintenance. You can see the rack (black) that the drive units were in constant mess with.

IMG_2707.JPG

I still don't know what was wrong with the French designed doors. I recollect that they may have fitted some of the electro/mechanical/hydraulic systems onto the doors. Pretty stupid if they did! Umbilical systems for electrics and hydraulics are always prone to problems!

This from a Canadian Engineering magazine.
    chunnel.jpg

PhilRyder likes this.