DBW Conversion With Mk5 Pedal

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Jja081196, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Jja081196 New Member

Hi Guys,

I'll start by saying - im not sure if this is the correct place to post this question so please feel free to move it if necessary.

Now the boring bit is out the way I'd like to ask if anyone has played with DBW to the extent of using the Mk5 Pedal. The reason I ask is I sat in a friends Mk5 and the Pedal feel was great, the Pedal would be fitted to my Mk3 if it is possible which is going to be fitted with a 1.8t currently operated by Cable throttle, hence posting in the Mk4 section. Does anyone think this is possible? I understand that you can convert from cable to DBW with the Mk4 Pedal, I'd prefer the Mk5 one though? ;) Cheers guys!
    Jake

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

in what way did you like the pedal feel? just the way it works or the way the engine responds?

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Pedal feel is largely down to pedal map and of course the characteristics of the car and engine you drove.

4. Jja081196 New Member

Hi Guys,

It's the actual feel of the pedal under my foot that I like, it reminds me of the old arcade simulators, it also felt more controlled due to better foot coverage on the pedal, do you think it would be possible to do the conversion without much fuss?

Cheers
    Jake

5. Toyotec

Pedal feel as a function of foot rotation is what you are on about. That might have to with the seating position in a MK5.
    For instance the pedal with the same resistance will feel a bit different in the van.

6. Jja081196 New Member

I think the reason I like the feel is because the pedal is pushed downwards rather than backwards, if that makes sense, the pedal design is hugely different and I quite like the look of it too

7. Toyotec

It is like an old beetle pedal in principle. I am not sure how compatible it is electrically with a Bosch ME7 ECU.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

worst case fab up a pedal assy that feels nice to you, then hook it up to one of the early MK4 remote actuators. They'll work fine on later ECU once you re-wire them to suit