DCOE 45 manifold abf

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by deepdishtj, May 14, 2009.

1. deepdishtj Forum Member

hi guys just a general question. whats the quality of the weber manifolds for twin dcoe's. i know that the mangoletsi ones are shi*te. it seems the cheaper option than having one made up.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Need to see one really.

Depending on the angle of the Mangoletsi, it maybe able to be ported to suit like the 8v manifolds, though there's a fair bit of work involved. The Dbilas manifolds have a bad angle of approach, and even porting dos'nt bring back the airflow lost.

I've just (yesterday) started the ball rolling on a custom manifold for carbs, with the aim to achieve as close to zero loss as possible. The first mock up will be ready from my fabricator in 3 weeks, it'll then be fitted to a car to check for clearance and then flow tested.

It's designed to make the most from fitting carbs as far as airflow/power is concerned, so there will more than likely be the need to lower radiators at least on a MK1, Mk2 "may" clear but I wont know until the shape is finalised.

3. deepdishtj Forum Member

ok mate. i dont mind about clearance. Form follows function mate as you well know. keep me informed on how it all works out as i will be very interested to know. cheers

4. EZ does it Forum Member

I'd also like to see how this works out, with regards to the angle and fit could it be practical to modify the lower section of the standard 16v manifold to mount carbs?

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Will do indeed, I'll post up pics and flow results as soon as each level is reached, I need it to happen as fast as possible to finish a project.

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The dcoe spacing is very close to the 16v inlet porting so it maybe an option for the future, but the only thing used would possibly be the flange that bolts to the head.

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Pro - Alloy one here cost arround 270
    [​IMG]

8. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Our manifold will be similar to that, obviously not as down-draught to suit carbs and not quite as long (but close), and a bit cheaper.

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Do TSR not sell them anymore?

Its what i got for the mk1 years back (16v) and still have it actually, it was banana shaped when it arrived, but got it on a flat bed sander and sorted it. The shape of the ports and the way it sat was spot on though.

Not really sure what make it is...

Neil.

10. deepdishtj Forum Member

i think for the cost of the weber manifolds i will get the ports matched with my engine when its at the builder. my only worry is that it could be to short, and end up reducing flow. but we'll see! not too bad at 150 quid

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The ports ar'nt generally a problem, it's the angle of approach. When I flow tested one a couple of weeks ago on a ported 16v head there was a 6fm loss over the bare head port flow. That can amount to 8-10hp on a good engine with carbs, close to what the carbs are capable of giving, which is one of the reasons why many claim very little or no power increase when fitting carbs.

If the angle of approach is low on the manifold your using it wont be too bad, if the manifold ports drop down into the head then no amount of port matching will get back the loss.

12. deepdishtj Forum Member

Thats a major loss! what if we try a group buy of custom manifolds for the 16v and have them made by bogg brothers maybe or someone alike. what do you think? when you have a pattern obv. just an idea

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

have a look at altiss engineering here the quality looks pretty good to me.

14. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Well yr not far off the plan. When the manifold is made I can quantify it's flow on the bench, after that my man can make as many as I want to the same spec, or adjust to suit T/B's etc. I'll post something up here over the next couple of weeks as soon as I get the 1st prototype.

15. deepdishtj Forum Member

ok mate coutn me in for a definate. it would be great to have a manifold with spot on flow! [:D]

16. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

carb's - how quaint :p {only pulling ya leg}

straight DCOE style manifold is already available for 200 also

17. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

They still do the winning down here... at least mine do ;)

Though fuel injection is'nt far off in the future.

Is that one of those TWM or Rowlands manifolds Bill ?

18. Carbs4ever Forum Member

[​IMG]

Rowland long manifold tarted up a bit...

It needed a bit of matching though at the carb end but when mounted there is a nice progressive curve to the valves...

19. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Picked up the first prototype DCOE 16v inlet today... couple of quick pics for ya...

Off to be test fitted in a car, if all's ok the welding will be finished off and I can then tidy it up internally and flow test it on the bench... fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

... and compaired to the Dbila's manifold..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  20. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member