"Death Rattle" - ooo errr

Discussion in 'Engines' started by The db, Jun 11, 2007.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I think I have got the death rattle on my 8v :lol:

Sounds like the cam belt or tensioners is rattling a bit. Is really loud on cold, but does go away when the car has had a 15-20 minute run at temp. Was planning on changing the cam belt anyway as no history to say when it was last done but presume this is a sign from the gods to stop driving it until I have or it will go snap?!

2. bigben Forum Member

I have that I think - does it have quite a rhythmic metallic sound ? I'd always put it down to a sticking tappet.

3. nealey Forum Junkie

Are you sure its not the manifold blowing slightly and when its up to temp the hole is sealing off? I have had the exact same problem before, although mine turned out to be a cracked manifold

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Its not a sticky tappet.

Its definately belt related. It speeds up with the engine and slows down with the engine. The engine has a bad cold idle whilst the noise is being made, dropping down to 500rpm then revving itself to 2500rpm.

Oh well if it gets through a few more trips it will be treated to new belts all round and a tensioner next week weather permitting.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  5. Setone Forum Member

talking about rattles, mine got a massive rattle at about 3500 rpm then nothing, got to be exhaust sheild or some thing, can't be the cam belt cover coz that was rattling so much i took the thing off!

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Sound more like worn tappets to me. If your changing the belt then you may as well go the whole hog and do them as well. Only 50 from GSF. :thumbup:

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Nah no new tappets. The car only cost 300. I'll change the belts as a matter of caution, and because I dont know when they were last done. Throw in some new plugs/oil/filter and then I'll drive it into the ground. Not spending a penny more than I really have to. :lol:

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

take the alternator & pas belts off and run it briefly, if the noise goes its alt/waterpump/pas related, if not its tensioner or something more serious :lol:

9. The db

The db Forum Junkie

No PAS on this one - less to go wrong.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Could still be the water pump or alternator rattling. Tensioners can get a bit rattly when the bearings are tired too. Lots of things would vary with engine speed, so I wouldn't rule out a leaky manifold (exhaust pulses vary with revs) and so on.

Have you tried a long screwdriver with the handle against your ear, and the tip on the rocker cover/body of the alternator, etc, to see if you can trace the noise? Obviously, don't put it on any moving parts :o)

11. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

That`s a proper old school trick! An old engineer taught me that in the Merchant Navy. Has helped me diagnose many a fault, especially bearings! :thumbup:

12. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Does the tensioner have a bearing in it (I presume it does if it goes round). I reckon it might be that. It sounds more like a slapping noise at idle (when it idles :lol:) and makes the engine sound like its whining/electric at high speeds.