Decent on-line tools shop?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by mattie, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mattie Forum Member

Hi all

I need to get a decent set of hex bits to get the caliper bolts off, which I've heard can be a bugger. I don't want to get cheapy rubbish and round the heads off, and as I'm not convinced by the quality of halfords I'm probably going to get them on-line.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality and good value on-line tool shops?

Cheers

Matt

2. GolfBryan Forum Member

I have used Tooled-Up and they seemed ok! :)

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i just bought my dads birthday present from http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/ (dremel multi) was the best deal i could find, i got it the day after i ordered it to,

tim

4. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Yeah, I've got a load of stuff from Tooled-Up, too, and they were good on price and fast on delivery.

For what it's worth I've also got a Halfords "Professional" socket set, complete with Hex bits, and I'm very happy with the quality [:$]

5. redi

redi Forum Member

Ive had a number of tools from halfords professional series and have found them to be good quality, and they have a lifetime guarantee.

There was a thread on here about a guy who had a halfords impact driver and took it back because one of the bits broke and was given a whole new set.

I removed my caliper bolts yesterday, one came out ok the other rounded off straight away (used a decent Torx bit). I filed the bolt down slightly and hammered a (cheap) 9/16 socket over it and it came off with a bit of persuasion.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Try justoffbase - used them twice, good service.

7. rradogolfman Forum Member

8. mattie Forum Member

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

They are good bits - bu that is a crap set you bought.

You shoud have biught this - then you would have had every bit you would ever need

Click Here

[​IMG]

:)

10. mattie Forum Member

Budget-driven, I'm afraid - I got only the ones I could see a need for, and used the spare money to buy some decent bi-hex spanners (after finally binning my old bit-of-tin junk no-brand ones).

The set you've shown looks pretty comprehensive, but I'm not sure I'll ever use most of them. Just out of interest, are there any torx fittings on golfs? Helped a mate with his clio, every single fitting was bizarre (including 8mm square sump plug, which we had to bodge up by wedging a bit of 8mm square section hardened steel rod into an old socket) and found torx fit on brake disc retaining screw, but have only found 8mm (brake) and 17mm (gearbox oil) hexes on the golf so far - I'm expecting to find other sizes, but are there any odd fittings to be aware of?

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Surely 20 aint out of budget for a good set.....

That set has the XZN spline keys, which are used on driveshafts and headbolts on golfs :)

There are no torx on the golf, but all modern stuff has it, so it will always come in handy.

Pretty sure the brake callipers are 7mm too :)

12. Andy99 Forum Member

brakes were 6mm on mine but they were spare bolts from ECP or somewhere similar

13. mattie Forum Member

No, but with spanners it would have cost around 40, which is more than I wanted to part with for one day - as it is I paid 25 for the same brand but without the ones I didn't think necessary. I can add to it as and when needed.

Bugger. I checked over the weekend, and then had one of those moments where I couldn't remember whether it was 7 or 8, but convinced myself it was 8. Write it down........

14. mr.rabbity Forum Member

Tools are a man's best friend after his dog of course, so buy the best ones you can and you will never have to splash out again.

Caliper bolts are 6mm. Personally I have a 3/8 drive direct attachment for this so I can get decent swing on these. Never had a problem with caliper bolts. I think it is just some people just swing on them at a slight angle and they round. Also make sure the tool is all the way in at all times.

15. mattie Forum Member

Cheers for comments.

The tools are good quality, but just a little bit restricted in range. Hopefully they're the right size, I'll find out tomorrow!

I've only done pads and discs twice, once on a Clio and once on a fiesta, both pretty painless. Mind you, it always is when you're helping out on someone else's car.

16. smithy Forum Member

On the 8v im fairly sure the caliper bolts are 6mm allen head...

17. mattie Forum Member

Just done them, they were indeed 6mm.

18. olds'kool New Member

I'd recommend Halfords Professional This is what i started out wit about 8 years ago when i started my apprenticeship have still got everything,just, the stuff i haven't got is cause i lost it, cause my memory is poor
    Also Halfords are open til late in the week and Saturday and Sunday.
    I also have quite abit of Snap On stuff which is good quality but you knows you Pays yer money and all that!!!
    Plus local Snap On man will argue about broken tools its his living Person at halfords doesn't care its not his/her money!!
    Drapers good too
    Just my 2p :)

19. chris_s Forum Member

Machine Mart

there ok for tools alot of there stuff is lifetime guarenteed too

20. 4D1

4D1 New Member

[​IMG]

XZN & RIL (Ribe & Spline) TTRS15

[​IMG]

PH, PZ, TX, Hex & Hex AF TTBS35

[​IMG]

TX, TPX & TX-E TTTX30

[​IMG]

TX socket bits TTTX23

Tengtools, Excelent quality and good value, Lifetime Guarantee.......www.Teng.co.uk