Decent Tools

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Viper, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Viper Forum Member

Does anyone here use Clarke tools? I am after a proper tool chest. Will be looking at a roller cab and top box as well as a load of tools and would like good quality and preferably with a lifetime guarantee. I have been looking at Clarke and they seem to fit the bill and are fairly reasonably priced but has anyone got any comments?

I know the usual answers; snap-on and halfords and i'll look at these too but snap-on are so expensive and not really bothered about image, just want tools that work well enough. Will be using every day nearly (for work).

Cheers for any information or opinions.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Not bothered by the image, what about the finish, I must admit the the makes I have/have access to are Mac, Snap & sealy

mac & Snap are not that much price difference on some things, but the snap far less prone to scratching/chipping

sealy not that great for using everyday, I think clark are a bit more better

I was having a look at Clark boxes in machine mart other week, look good (500 ones :lol:) I might get one

if you don't want to spend too much just yet go for clark, have in the back of your mind to upgrade some bits

get good sockets, ratchets, spanners & breaker bars, you can skimp on the rest
    Edited by: Crispy 8V

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think a lot of Clarke and Sealey Stuff is the same thing with a different label. Was told that by a guy in the tool trade years ago - assume it's still true

Teng tools are pretty good and sensible prices - don't know about the toolboxes - Halfords Prof are good but a bit overpriced IMHO - Draper / Gedore are OK - good enough for most DIY-ers

Buy the best tools you can afford - but if you're only going to use it once factor that in.

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

i have been very impressed with the halfords pro range - takes a lot of abuse, and if you do manage to break one they replace it [:D]

am a little wary of clarke now - bought a lot of stuff from them, but had a couple of chocolate tools recently, was quite disappointed.

Sealey stuff *seems* to me to be a slightly better quality than clarke - compare welding on the trolley jacks (well the ones i've seen) shows the sealey are the better kit

however they might all be made in the same factory and i was just comparing a midweek trolley jack with a friday afternoon....

5. philip walker Forum Member

Agree with crispy,
    Snap on tool boxes are not as expensive as that.
    One you load the tool chest up with tools, then you will notice the difference.
    Snap on tool boxed`s are also worth good money second hand. I have just replaced my 15 year old Snap on top chest and rollcab with a much larger box (bigger than my wardrobe) top quality. My local Snap on dealer gave me more than I paid for it in p/ex.
    Facom also are good especialy the rollcab with the work top.
    Also for my dealer days if you had the biggest Snap on tool chest you got the ramp closest to the heater....Halfords tool chest you worked outside in the snow fixing tractors

Edited by: philip walker

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd be surprised if either of them make all their own kit. I expect it's bought in from various manufacturers around the world, and increasingly in the far East. So it wouldn't be surprising if the quality varied on a tool by tool basis

Facom and Snap on are the best you can get, but you pay for it. Britool / Teng / Halfords Pro are as good as you'll need for even heavy DIY (IMHO). Agree that halfords pro stuff is tough, and fits OK, although sometimes the design isn't all that clever (e.g. I bought a set of spline bits where the holders are so big and cumbersome that you can't fit them round driveshafts / cylinder heads / etc.) FACOM own Britool now, for the last 10+ years, and use it as a 'nearly as good' brand.

Unless you're using it every day, and need it to be secure, I don't see the tool chest as being the big deal - it's what you put in it. However, if it meant working in the snow, I'd get snap on stickers, and pictures of naked ladies for it - bound to score some points with the boys in the workshop ;)

7. Viper Forum Member

Okay cheers guys for all the input. Very useful stuff. I was considering looking for a second hand snap tool chest and maybe some decent ratchets etc (the essentials). Will be using it every day so would need to be tough and hard-wearing. Will investigate further...

Cheers again.

Rob

8. Admin Guest

i'm sure max runs snap on, ask him where he got his from, useful for taking the old golf apart :lol: ;)
    bit of an outlay if you do it all at once but hey you got it for life then.