Deer at 70mph!

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by Viper, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Viper Forum Member

Oh well, it could have been worse. Saw the bugger and had to lock up rather than swerve (had dad and his mate in the car) and big bang and lots of rubber! Grille came off and bounced up and down on bonnet, still held on by wires.

No one was hurt luckily ( I think the deer was sleeping) and shouldn't take too much to fix, hopefully. Engine is fine and rad is un touched and also grille is still fine! Think the front mount may have lifted slightly so may have to check exhaust manifold and a few other bits but doesn't look to bad inside and underneath.

I think this is just a credit to how sturdy golfs are (some may dissagree) but engine didn't stall and no hastles. Damage is fairly minimal too. Dread to think what a fiesta would look like!

NICE!

[​IMG]

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Jesus! I didn't realise hitting a deer could cause that much damage, but then again at 70mph it's probably like hitting a sack of bricks...

3. Viper Forum Member

Two sacks o bricks. Had three people in the car too so extra weight. Was only going fast because its a really straight road for about half a mile and the bloody thing just wondered out without a care in the world. Over a ton of german engineering soon put a stop to that!

I think it looks worse than it is, but still not really what i wanted! Even more pressure to pass bike test now. Work is only up the road and it drives fine. No leaks that I can see. I don't really have a choice othen than to drive it to worl but apart from the slightly obscured number plate do you think its legal to drive? [:$] Read that there have to be no exposed (sharp and pointy) bits past the bumper, and the way i see it the bumper is still (relativley) intact and there is nothing sticking out past it. Will prob just get funny looks thats all!

May have to get a run-around for now. Was thinking pug 205gti for the time being (please don't burn me at the stake!).

Cheers

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

New bumper & lower valance should be enough to sort that, depending if the bumper mounts are bent or not! Possibly a front x-member too? All common as much from your local scrappy :)

Looks like you might be able to salvage the red trim as well, and the smoked indicators look ok too

5. Admin Guest

you never said about that!!!

i think i know the straight your on about ;) i'm surprised your car got to that speed with three people in it :lol: ;)

what an arse!
    Edited by: Jon P

6. 84cab Forum Member

I was in my mates mk3 Astra when we hit a deer at 80mph and it was a big bugger too! smashed the front end right up, managed to limp on for about a mile before the engine gave up. complete write off and only tpft insurance. Scared the s**t out of me as well!! [:s]

7. g@un Forum Member

Should bolt back together with no problems. Did the deer get breathalized!? Bloody things!

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah but if you were on your bike you might not be talking to us now [:^(] ;)

9. Viper Forum Member

Yeah thats true and have being saying that to everyone! thank god for old cars with built quality thats all i can say ;) no broken engine here!

Yeah, just need new front valance and bumper and mate has them both for me in black too :) . also the bracket that the grille mounts onto and a new grille itself. easy enough, i hope! think tracking is out and there is a slight knocking which may be a cv joint. easy enough.

may still get a pug 1.9 though for a month or two. always wanted to compare and see what they were like. this is a good excuse (even tho the damage is minimal ;) )

cheers for concern all... bloody animals, heh!

10. LLOYD Forum Member

and if you had been in a moggie minor you would be selling vennison in the classified and buffing out the small scratch on the front :lol: glad you werent hurt . im only guessing but the deer died on impact or did you get it seen to ( put down ) or did you leave it

11. I hope you bundled it into the boot and went home for a nice barbeque???
    Seems like a waste if you didn't......
    Once missed a deer by 1 inch at slightly over 70 (officer...) on my bike on deserted A303, very lucky...

12. Viper Forum Member

Lol i think it was well and trully dead! It's head hit my bumper at 80 (not the other way around ;) ) and was just at the side of the road. Didn't pick it up, buy you're not allowed to if you hit it yourself apparently. You can if someone else hit it.

You're not suppossed to do 80 on a country road either, apparently [:$]

13. Viper Forum Member

Well its all sorted now anyway. Only thing is the tracking and a new cv joint i think. Making a slight knocking so will check that out next. Looks better though.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Cheers for help, y'all! ;)

Rob