Depressed, my car just wiped me out (financially)

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by PhatVR6, Jan 3, 2007.

1. funkbaron Forum Junkie

My car's clearing me out big time.[8(]
    In the last week:
    Cam chains, tensioners and guides
    Head bolts
    Head Gasket
    Rocker Gasket
    Sump Gasket
    Valve stem seals
    Radiator Thermoswitch
    Spark Plugs
    Dizzy cap, rotor arm and new HT leads
    Temp sender

Still needs two new tyres from dodgy alignment and hand brake cables on top. Also fitted a fair few extra parts, etc - it's costing a bomb to make it how I want and 100% spot on.

Then I need to fit it all:lol:

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

Oh, i'm not.....i got given one to sell on, and was pleasantly surprised

My point is....you can have cheap motoring if you want to....you're just choosing to have a more expensive car (and to buy higher quality parts)

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Fitted an ecu and coil pack to a Puma the other day as it stopped switching the coil on 2 cyls, total bill 887 !!

I'm glad I do the work not pay for it, Brooklyn charge 71 + vat ph :lol:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  4. stu h Forum Member

:o :o :o :o

5. very soon it will have!

6. corradophil Forum Member

My car is behaving very well at the moment, the only thing I'm paying for on it is petrol. Good old valver Corrado, and its practically antique with almost 175k on the clock.

7. paulyb Forum Member

Waiting for my mate to come round and fit a thermostat as we speak,hopefully that will cure my overhating probs[:^(] New suspension and rear calipers needed soon[:^(] If only everthing in life........blah blah blah:lol:

8. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Had my car for a year and a half and owes me about 400 quid in parts and not a penny for labour :lol: Last thing i bought was a weber and cant even remember what the thing before that was.

Although need tyres soon im going to invest in new wheels when im at it. And think i better change the suspension soon to so will be out a couple of quid soon. God bless student loans ;)

9. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

be better to buy an sell a few cars to pay for the projects, helped me out a few times

10. i had a new exhaust system and 4-branch fitted as the old downpipe on my valver was knackered. cost 290 for the system. then i went to the garage to pick the car up after a week on not having it. and they tell me i need a new gearbox, as they could only get 3rd an reverse. so i got a new 'box for about 240 and gave it to them to fit. they have fitted a new clutch and all new gear linlages and clutch cable without me asking. so im still waiting to get the car back. they said it would be done yesterday but it wasnt, then they said today but it isnt yet.
    so they've had the car for 3 weeks and because i only have that car thats insured, i am stuck in my house and have to get lifts to my part-time job. i dread to think how much the bill is going to be after all the stuff they have done. i just want to drive it again. and i have a date tommorow and desperatly need it for that. fu*king cars.

11. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Recently:

MOT
    Re-wiring in engine bay (corroded wires)
    Track rod ends
    All 4 wheel bearings
    CV boot
    Couple of services (oil, filter, coolant etc)
    New Tyre
    New rear caliper
    2 handbrake cables

also need to sort out a new clutch, rear tail light stopped working, aerial has fallen off??

Labour at the garage I use is 40 an hour plus VAT, although I do get a slightly discounted rate as they like my car and I have got some business.

12. WarrenSTI New Member

On a service, inc cam belt
    front pads and discs

13. Dan. Forum Member

14. coolrunnings Forum Member

I am one of the poor souls that cant do much work on my car as im an idiot. No know how or the tools. However, i make a couple of hundred quid a month through travel expenses at work which helps pay for most stuff including my tax and insurance.
    I have owned my mk2 for year and a half and must have spent about 1000 on it. And another 500 on stuff i didnt really need. Bigger arches etc.
    My mechanic is 25 an hour cash in hand.
    Have spent 200 since xmas on water pump,coolant,oil and filter.
    God knows how but i still love my rusty mk2.
    Although one of the straps that sits under the fuel tank fell off today. Bugger!

15. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Spent 300 get the raddo through the mot last weekend.
    Spent another 300 on the rocco today probably half that again tomorrow.

Gonna enjoy it come summer, although it'd probably be sensible to get a cheaper daily car than a raddo.

16. PzKpfw II Forum Member

after 12 months of relplacing knackered - tired parts this Xmas treated the Golf to some new plates & car mats, 50

17. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Jesus!.

18. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

think thats bad, people get charged 75/76+vat for me to work on their car - mugs:o

19. timbutjack Forum Member

when i did work experience at BMW a while ago they charged 110 ph. one customer needed a new engine. bet it was the worst phone call of his life :lol:

20. G-Man Forum Junkie

Mine's going in for a service - 80
    Then needs a few bits fixed and a rolling road for diagnostics - which could be a bit if there's a problem :(

I give up!