Dfn / 4T gearbox and final drive flange compatibility.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RuffRyder23, Jul 6, 2023.

1. RuffRyder23 New Member

Hi there new user looking for some advice.

I have a mk2 1.6 ryder with suspected inner cv joint failure or potentially a smashed up diff. I have currently installed a 4T box with 90mm flanges. When the initial bang happened causing me to limp the car home with a solid rotational knocking noise, I pretty much immediately suspected diff and bought a dfn box. Now once i bought the box the guy I bought it from asked if I wanted a pair of new cv joints he bought to install, so I grabbed them.

now the issue for me is now will the 100mm flanges fit in slot straight into my currently installed box with the 90mm flanges in and then I can just put my driveshaft into the new cv’s and couple them to the flanges. This saves me taking the box out and totally swapping it, granted this will give me a relatively fresh box but obviously if it is just the cv joints that have failed I can just replace those with the new ones I already have and save the fresh box for when I actually need it.

Sorry this is so long winded, any help at all would be massively appreciated!

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

The problems you’ll have:
    1: Drive shaft lengths of 90mm/100mm are different as well as the drive shaft cup offset.
    2: 90mm cups (not early units that don’t have the spring behind the cup) will fit any 020 but 100mm cups will only fit cases which are relieved on the side closerst to the shaft.