DHLA 45s on mk2 1.8 K-Jet

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Lennard, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Since i've had to knock the 8v turbo on the head until next summerdue to the fact i'm goign to uni,I was wondering how difficult would it be to convert my 1985 8vGTi engine to45carbs?

[​IMG]

Also does anyone know what kind of performance gains I am likely to get?

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

carbs arent ideal on an 8v really m8,unless youre going for the x flow head too?

staying none x flow though...
    they will be sat above the exhaust manifold so will need some sort of heat shield making up,and some sort of air feed would be a good idea too.

also i think that in the mk2's theres a slight problem where the brake servo gets in the way of any filtration that you need to use.

neil. :)

3. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

where can i get hold of an xflow head or rather which car?

Edited by: Lennard

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

all i know is that the late beetles have them,dont know anymore than that sorry m8, [:$]

neil.

5. t_r_d Forum Member

yeah late beetles have them and they bolt straight on. also akl engine
    coded mk4 golfs and audi a3s

6. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

i've been told that the ABA engines had them as well?

What do I need to scavenge off the said engine in order to convert my 1.8 to mount carbs?

7. t_r_d Forum Member

complete head.

cambelt is the same as that of the beetle so is the tensioner.

8. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Do you knowwhat kind of power figures will I be looking at? I have a Kent cam and Scorpion straight through exhaust with a TSR 4-1 manifold.

EDIT: Oh and a Kent vernier pulley although admittedly that will have little effect :)

Also I have a completely stripped interior with one bucket seat, so any guesses on 0-60 times?

Am I right in thinking that after I have mounted the carbs I will just have to re-jet them to get the engine running?

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Do a search for oakgreen88, he had/has a 2 litre 8v with x-flow head a race 304 Schrick cam, DTA management and throttle bodies and after mapping got 170bhp, yes, that's good for an 8v.

How can anyone guess your 0-60??? [8-}]

You would be right in thinking they will need re-jetting, but that all depends what engine they came off... you might be really lucky and someone else had them on a x-flow headed golf with a kent cam ;)

10. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Yeah I suppose 0-60 has allot to do with technique as well as your mechanical set up. So I guess with 45s i'll be looking at around 150-160 bhpif they are well set up.

I was trolling ebay last night and there are a fair few 16v engines up for grabs, do you knowhow much would a 16v engine produce with a similar set up?

I've also just found out that the carb manifold i located isn't infact compatible with a crossflow :(