Diesel Additives & PD engines ???

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by BackinaDub, Nov 27, 2007.

1. BackinaDub New Member

Does any one know weather it is safe to use a diesel additive in my 1.9 GT Tdi 115 PD golf as i am only getting 43mpg average ! and was wondering weather it may help have done the usual things it needed a new mass meter a while ago and then a temp sensor, so now runs like a dream but just not returning whta i thought i would get ?

Thanks guys

Ben

2. Seraph Banned

1. It is safe
    2. I doubt it'll make much difference anyway
    3. What sort of runs do you do?

3. BackinaDub New Member

25 Miles a day pretty streight trip on good roads and evem when i go on longer trips its no better

4. Seraph Banned

Depending on how you drive, 43 isn't entirely unexpected.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i used millers in mine, i dont know about the mpg, at 40+mpg is there any point in counting? lol

it basically stopped any smoke and cured the wobbly idle

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

how old is the engine? and has the cam belt been done? as my 115 pd engine only does low40s high 30s since i changed the head gasket (it was weeping on 3 cylinders i found out at higher revs, if you kept the revs bellow 2400rpm it didnt touch its water, new gasket and its mint!!!) and did the cam belt, but i did only guess at tdc on the crank, which didnt help as the top pullys a vernier, so im now slightly out (i now have the proper crank tool to re-do it) but my engine now goes like stink!!!!

as for cleaners etc, they may help some, but it may take a while. ive had 2 lots of tescos cleaner through it now and its made no help, but again i recon this is more due to the timing as before i would easly get 50+ on a average run and easily mid 40s in town.

7. Supercharged Forum Member

Yep - as above it obviosuly depends how you drive but i'd say 43 is too low and anything lower indicates a problem

I can acheieve 55mpg out of my AJM easily driving it as economically as posible without going stupidly slow, I average 48-50 driving the nuts off it most of the time!

I'd say if you can't get 55 ave after a couple of hundred miles gentle driving then you need to get the cam timing checked - if the belt was changed without the correct locking tools used then the vernier adjustment on the cam pulley maybe slightly out - it doesn't take much at all, half a tooth and you can loose 5 MPG!!

8. Supercharged Forum Member

As above you know whats up with it but being out isn't bad as long as it's not too far and you check the belt reguarly - cost you more in fuel tho!

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Tell me about it!!! my estate with 170+ on the clock used to do 50-53mph on my usual run down to milton keynes, so thats junc 25 to junc 14 on the m1, steady 80odd in 6th, no i strugle to get any more than 44 for that run, and around town im in the low 30s... but like i say its not stupidly fast!!! but with fuel costs going up and up im going to re-time it again soon.

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i have a vectra cdti 120 for work, and this is neither fast nor efficient!
    I only get 45 if i except that it is slow, if i try and make it go 'brisk' then it drops below 40..... think yourself lucky with 40mpg, at least its quick!!!