Diesel Bora

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by stella, Feb 10, 2009.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I've never had a diesel car before, so I don't know if they have cambelts that need changing - please tell me, so I won't look foolish asking! [:$]

I have my heart set on a Bora but with a very limited budget (2K). I have spotted this one on fleaBay. It is a horrid colour with the ugliest wheels ever to grace a VW and high mileage, but it's within my price range.

Any other questions I should ask about it when I go to see it tomorrow?

[​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140278072564&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

The gold one I reallyb like, but it's petrol, so will be more expensive to run/tax/insure.[​IMG]
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320332644329&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Yes they have a cambelt. Madmonkey has just bought one for 2000.

The green one is nice, the gold one is rank[xx(]

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what a price... what a colour!

whats the mileage? well be able to give you an idea if there is any big work due

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

The green diesel has 134,000 miles and the gold petrol one has 66,000 (which is why I was thinking about cam belts).

What did Des get?

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Also, my Mk2 has always been looked after by a local Ford mechanic whose a member of Nottingham region.

Do newer cars such as these have to be serviced/repair at dealers on account of being plugged in to the computer to diagnose faults?

6. nealey Forum Junkie

cambelts on the diesels are around 60k originally but then i think the intervals went up slightly when they changed the materials of the belts.

Fault wise ask if its recently had a replacement water pump, check for knocks from the front over bumps(usually anti roll bar links), noises from the back over bumps tend to be rear axle bushes, lack of power is normally air flow meters, poor starting when cold is normally down to coolant sensors,power steering pipe that goes from the pump to the rack can leak

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  7. madmonkey Forum Addict

I got a 2001 2.3 V5 with 61k for 2k.[:D] Only 40 more a year than the Mk3 GTI and If I hadn't stopped at a red light on the way home I would've got an average of 40mpg.:lol:

Diesels do go for a little more, but I'd be expecting something less than 100k for 2k.:thumbup:

Ohhh, and V5 & V6 have a cam chain. [:D]

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

So wheres the pics then?

9. madmonkey Forum Addict

It's on stilts at the mo.[:$] But I'll fish out a couple.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the diesels can handle huge mileage but at 110-120k youre starting to get to new clutch/bushes/dampers territory. not dear if you can DIY

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the 1.6 16v is a nice drive, better power delivery than the 2.0 8v and gives decent MPG. Unless you do big mileage I would get the petrol...

12. gti8v Forum Member

just be carefull buying a diesel, we were stung when we got a bora tdi,
    turned out it had been ran on the wrong oil and engine parts had turned to jelly, closely followed by the bearing on the turbo.
    we owned it 4 months, it spent 7 weeks in the garage where my sons works, got it back and p/xed it the next day.
    Take someone with you that knows what a diesel should sound and run like...and if the turbo makes a low humming sound, walk. I thought they were supposed to sound like that!!!

oh and we p/xed it for a bora 1.8T so wasn't all bad!!

13. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Damn and blast! Just checked up on the diesel Bora on fleaBay to go and see it tomorrow, and it's gone! It was onthere for ages as well.

So looks like I've got to start looking all over again!

14. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

keep looking, miles arent a prob so long as it has a fsh and has been run on vw oils, my old mk4 was on nearly 200k when I sold it! and its still going strong now!!

all I would say is try and get a PD engined one, these have 115, 130 or 150.. or in later boras 106bhp. they are far better than the 90/110 bhp models, plus the 115 and above have 6 gears normally.

15. gti8v Forum Member

if you find a 115bhp hope it's not got a 6 speed 'box, you'll be forever changing gear if you drive round town alot

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

well chances are it will be, as its rare to get a 115 with out.. and why would you be always changing gear? the lower gears arent much diferent its only the uppers, Ive always had a 6 speeder, and never found it an issue in town at all.

17. stella

stella Forum Junkie

My son had a Mk5 Golf, diesel GT, and I sometimes used to drive that. It took me ages to get used to the limited power range (between about 2K to 4K revs) in each gear and how often it was necessary to change gear. That was a six speed box.

But usually I borrowed it to go home to Warwickshire, so blasting along the motorway, never did much town mileage. I expect I'll get used to the different driving style. If I ever find one to buy, that is!

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

6 gears is a better imo.... don't care about in town as when im 'in town' i don't go over 5mph.... however on the motorway having 6th is awesome

19. stu h Forum Member

I would personally steer clear of a diesel unless you do lots of miles.

There is a lot more potential for big bills with the diesel. There are plenty of low mileage petrol Boras on the market for around your budget.

20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

to make a wiesel pay you need to be doing 15k+ miles a year, the only other time I would have one is if I towed alot, if its just the odd long run then tbh don't bother really, just get a petrol and run it on super unleaded.