Diesel consumption

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Richjd, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Richjd New Member

Hi all, i just brought my very first vw golf 5 weeks ago. Its a 2002 gt tdi 130 with 40 000 on the clock, although a very quick car i am very dissapointed with the fuel consumption and struggling to get 42 mpg. Ive not been hammering it or anything and my journey to and from work is a good run ie up the A1 then off onto other main roads. In your opinion is this normal mileage for this car as some others say they get more mpg than this, please help.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Seems to be reasonable consumption. How much were you expecting?

3. Seraph Banned

What speed up the A1?

Checked your tyre pressures?

I'd expect late 40's+ assuming everything else ok and sensible speed.

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

check your driving style, I have made small chages to mine, ie being easier on the throttle, coasting to junctions when ever poss, on the m1 etc i normally cruise at 75 or there abouts not 85, and also dont give the car gip when just starting your jurney as this really kills the average (if im a little quick onto the main road within 800m of my house I can see a average of 8mpg!! normally its about 15-17) I have gone from low 40s to high 40s by being a bit more grown up, but im still not really granny driving, just when crusing in town at 30 im in 5th and when going 40+ im in 6th.

also check your tyre pressures. and finally you will get lower figures in the winter anyway due to the extra kerosine added to the fuel to stop waxing in very cold conditions, this lowers the power of the fuel slightly so more fuel is needed to go the same speed. plus warmed summer weather also helps the thermal effiecency of the engine too.