Diesel estate for 1k? B5 Passat or A4?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by jmsheahan, May 30, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I wouldn't buy one with a control problem. You could spend a lot of time and money chasing it. You might be lucky and it's just EGR cleaner, but I wish I'd spent a bit more and bought a better one.

They're not a rare car, so take your time and find the right one. In the meantime, blow the tyres up a bit harder on the golf, take all the crap out of the boot, and drive for 40 mpg.

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

A grand isn't too little for a good one, it might look rough round the edges and need a clean that's all. As said, mine was peanuts, the Avant just commands a slightly higher premium.

I would try and buy a problem free one but I'd take knackered arms over engine problems all day long. Unless he wants 200 quid for the limp mode car it's not worth it.

The one you linked from where I'm sitting is worth about 700 quid if the engine is good! Look on retrorides, I found mine on there and it was well priced and he'd just changed the oil and put new back brakes on it. Turbo needs a bit of a clean now but when I first got it I was in traffic alot, you should except a reasonable amount of torque from it, enough to keep early pace with an 8v GTi in first and second gear.

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers Shaz, good to know, been looking on Autotrader, Ebay and Gumtree mainly. Not bothered about scuffed paint etc and don't mind getting my hands dirty but turbo swaps etc is something I can't be arsed with straight away. Needs to be fairly up together.

Deffo Decided against the red one linked above, even with me knocking the price down it's still too much. Search continues :)

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Bought one yet? Chop chop!

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

lol

Unfortunately I had no luck sourcing an Audi in time and insurance was quite a bit on it too with the miles I need. As it's only a crappy daily I had to plump for something else. I start an 80 mile a day commute next week and after looking at 9 different cars I got pretty bored of looking at disesals.

Rather not say what I've bought though lol[xx(]

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

It's a VAUXHALL isn't it!

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I wouldn't stoop quite that low lol

It does have a turbo, half leathers, AC and FSH though with half the mileage of the majority of cars I've looked at.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  9. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Nope - my mate guessed it instantly after stumbling across this thread lol

Unfortunately:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'll do for a few months [xx(]

10. m1keh Forum Member

With a remap those can be quite fun if it's the hdi I think it is. If it's a d-turbo just play with the injector pump screw :p.

11. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

I thought it had to be an estate!

Likely to get shot down on here I know, but that will run rings round a standard mk2 gti. Nice buy.

Cheers

Dan

12. nealey Forum Junkie

I had one of them a few years ago and I really enjoyed driving it once I had got used to the pedals and the lift off oversteer.

13. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Yeah it's a HDI. I did want an estate ideally but this one came up at the right time at the right price. Did look at an estate version but I kid you not it had been reversed into the car behind (ie still sat crumpled against another car) and the dealer didn't seem to think this would be an issue when trying to sell it [8-}]

Picked it up today and it seems ok for what it is to be fair. It's certainly not going to be the most cherished car I've ever owned but seems fit for purpose of commuting. Feels quite chuck-able in the corners but thank gawd for the turbo! I've got the Mk2 as the fun weekend motor.

Now watch it break lol

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  14. big jonesy Forum Member

you not parking that on my drive! only joking mate

15. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Bwhaha! I wouldn't dream of it mate lol

16. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Out of curiosity does anyone know much about servicing diesels? Was looking at the book today and apparently the oil is supposed to be changed every 6k! Surely they don't need an oil and filter change that often? Never had a diseaseal before so it's all new to me.

Supposed to use fully synthetic but after seeing the price of it I put diesel specific semi-synth in lol

17. Raider Forum Member

Dont it have the service indicator on when you turn the ignition on?.. easily reset... google it!!. What kind of mpg is the 06 returning?... We got a neglected Xsara estate Hdi 90 in work i'm using with 230k on the clock... thats returning 55mpg. Looked at loads of 406hdis myself but loads of ****ed examples... 306hdi would do the job just aswell I think.

18. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

It does yeah, either can be set at 10k or 15k but the book states 6k lol

As I say I've not had a diesel before so didn't know if perhaps they were more maintenance heavy and required for the fully synthetic for a longer life span on direct injection models.

Not sure on MPG to be honest as I haven't really driven it for a huge amount of time. Will find out at the end of this week though when I start the new job.

19. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Raider to answer your question not worked out MPG but getting around 650 miles consistently over the past couple of weeks to 70-75 worth of diseasal if that helps at all.

20. mexicorich Forum Member

I'm a bit late commenting on this thread but when my PD Ibiza started going into limp mode and no one could diagnose what was wrong, it eventually turned out just to be the boost pressure sensor in the intercooler