diff noises

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dono, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Dono Forum Member

Im verry confused at the moment and don't fully know where i stand with my gearbox/suspension.

long story... shortened lol

i fitted 280 brakes onto mine (golf mk2) a while back, recon callipers, new pads, new discs, new wheel bearings and new bottom ball joints.

not too long after fitting the lot i got an odd clunk when turning hard into corners, or when putting lock on and reversing,then the same then taking the lock the other way, and pulling away.

now i am unsure if it is my diff or a suspension joint (which are all new) is nackered.

Also i jacked up the car on drivers side, left the car driving with lock on, occasionly i got a minor cracking sound from within the box, which then told me it could be the gearbox, But then... when i was parked with lock on one day for some reason i had the urge to touch my drive shaft, then in doing so i discovered that i had between 1-3 inches of play on each shaft.

Replaced shafts with complete new ones. and the noise still persists, my gearbox is a 020 ACD and has covered aprox 130k. what are the symptons to worn diff rivets?

Whats your opinions please.