Differences between the MK2 and MK3 setup

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by richhasbigtits, Oct 1, 2023.

1. richhasbigtits New Member

Hello, I'm going round in circles trying to buy the remaining parts for my 20v conversion.

I will list what I have currently and what I am getting confused with and if anyone gets a spare minute to clear it up for me I would really really appreciate it

Vehicle: MK2 driver
    Subframe: MK3 GTi
    Engine AYP
    Gearbox 02a

( I have a rear engine mount from a MK3 with 02A)
    And I think I have a suitable front mount already but will double check.

My first question is, if I am to use the MK3 subframe should I be using MK3 wishbones and wheel carrier?

And my second question is which driveshafts should I need with this setup please,

And my third and probably not final question is which mounts should I be using? Is my rear mount correct for the other parts I have listed?

Thank youuu

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Whether you use the mk3 wishbones and wheel carriers depends on whether you want the car wide tracked and 5 stud depending on the year of the mk3. I don’t know exactly what that means but presumably the track is wider.
    We have a mk3 subframe but with mk2 wishbones and 4 stud wheel hubs. For this we need3d mk2 gti drive shafts. I don’t know if they are different to driver drive shafts (is yours 1.3 or 1.6?).
    Mounts I cannot help you with as we have VR6 and not 20v.

KeithMac likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can use either mk2 or mk3 subframe with either mk2 or mk3 wishbones. if you hve a mk3 abf/tdi rear bracket and subframe then go ahead and use them, but you'll still a mk2 g60/corrado/passat 4 cylinder front bracket to suit the mk2 front engien carrier. you can only use the mk3 abf/tdi one if you afit a corrado vr6 front carrier also found on various passat and toledo b4.

if you use mk2 wishbones you need 100mm mk2 gti or 16v shafts if its a late 1.8 carb they also have the 100mm shafts. also found on 4 stud corrado, ibiza/cordoba/toledo, caddy van, polo saloon/estate etc. if you go with the mk3 wishbones then you need the right mk3 shafts to go with, if 4 stud wishbones then 1.8-2.0 8v 4 stud except n/a diesel, if 5 stud then any mk3 gti, 16v or vr6

rear mount 1H0199262B is what the seat ibiza 20v uses, same as mk3 8v and 16v amongst others. front you'll need a g60 one if going with mk2 carrier/bracket, if you get the corrado vr6 type engine carrier then seat 20v uses 1H0199609J which is mk3 16v and tdi