different braking!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by VR6Will, Nov 26, 2003.

1. VR6Will Forum Member

Ok so heres the deal, driving home, had to brake really quite hard, my car decided to go about 30degrees sideways, uh oh, yep nearly stacked it but managed to save it!! :clap:

decided then to test my brakes in controlled conditions, yep everytime hard braking=sideways! [><]

im running 280mm G60 setup at front, standard at rear but with mk3 calipers, g60mc, standard servo, running the 15s at the mo with toyo proxes all round with excellent tread, and the road conditions were dry, although very cold!

the rear bias valve was replaced earlier this year - i think its most probably this, setup wrong just wanted to know other peoples thoughts!

but then started getting thinking, possibly suspension setup wrong, i have koni Ta's with eibach springs, running soft all round, i know stiffening up front or rear changes the characteristics of braking but in what way??

cheers

peeps

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Were the rears locking up?

Or was it one side biting before the other?

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

It's probably the rear bias valve.. slacken the nut off and have it so that the spring has no tension in it.

Also check that one wheel isn't locking up first.. i.e the rear brake pistons setup wrong.

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

does it always go the same way? if so its a prob with one brake, if not its a prob with the rears.

5. VR6Will Forum Member

majority of the time it goes 1 way, but does happen both, yea the rears are locking, i'll try the bias valve at the weekend,

any ideas with the suspension theory?

6. Jettin' Forum Member

I think that you need to adjust the brake bias valve, especially of you have lowered that car as this will compound the problem. Check this first so the car doesn't lock-up at the rear. As for the suspension it would be worn rear axle bushes or front wishbone problems but I dont think that this is the problem.

7. AndrewD Forum Member

Mine did the same thing when the bias valve got 'stuck' (Dubsport's words). The nearside rear wheel was getting hardly any brake force at all, causing the car to pull sharply to the right under heavy braking.

Feels like it's starting to do it again ... time for a trip to the garage I reckon.

A

8. Golden Forum Junkie

I would also check that the rear beam bushes aren't shagged one side.

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

well i have that prob and it doesn't seem a prob. do have abs mind, but its not cutting in in a weird way.

also, i know oakgreen88 and am pretty sure there's nowt wrong with his bushes. me thinks load valve sounds about right.