Direct ignition system for ABF engine

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by CANER, Sep 25, 2023.

1. CANER New Member

Hello friends. I have a 1997 model ABF engine Golf MK3. My car works with the original ECU and ignition system. However, I want to switch the ignition system from a distributor system to a direct ignition system. Is it possible to build this system with the original ECU? Or do I need to install an external brain? If anyone has made such an application, please help.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  2. davidut5 Forum Member

Ce limba e aia?

3. CANER New Member

You can translate

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

No reason you can't run standalone ignition. I am 80% through assembling a set of parts now. Canems standalone ignition ecu (mapabble, looks straight forward)
    Crank pulley modified to fit a 36:2 toothed wheel. Distributor blank. four post coil. harness to match. Which reminds me, why has this project been sitting in a box for 18 months? Must get my finger out and finish it
    Jon

5. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I have a mk1 golf project that has a standard ABF on twin weber 45 DCOEs. Its running a nodiz pro ignition ECU.

Super super simple setup, needs a mk3 VR style crank sensor and a ford zetec coilpack for it to run, can even use the ABF HT leads with the zetec unit.

Then of course there is the distributor blank, custom water flange to clear the webers etc