Dirty Diesel Dribbling Oil

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Gup16v, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Gup16v Forum Member

so my ASZ PD130 Bora has a oil leak around the back of the block and is making a god damn mess everywhere.

The drivers side driveshaft was well coated in some fine quantum oil. The intercooler had mukky dirt but nothing fresh so i think the seal is pretty good on that.

The turbo return pipe has stayed clean since i wiped the back of the block to see where the fresh oil comes from. So im running out of options, i cant actually see where its dripping from.

There is some oil on the egr return pipe to the pipe but not sure why it would leak from there :S

i took the cold side boost pipe and had a small puddle of oil sitting inside the throttle body/EGR valve.

Anyone got any suggestions to sort these out, i know some oil is to be expected but after topping up the light is on again and after starting it within 20 minutes i had a small oil pond on my driveway.

I hear some say the EGR valve needs to be replaced, others blank it but i'm weary about blanking it off and not having the shut off valve functional on the car.

Would a good clean and drain of the charge pipes help fix this?

Any advise input or experience with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gurps

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Is it not the actual turbo drain pipe? Or turbo feed pipe leaking?

3. Gup16v Forum Member

the pipe that goes back into the block/sump? the return pipe was dry where it meets the turbo and wasn't leaking when i cleaned it where it meets the block.

the oil is dripping onto the driveshaft, cant imagine it coming something that probably just below right :S ?

i can't get to the turbo feed pipe as the inlet mani is in the way. that was my next step to just rip off the manifold and check. they have very oddly shaped turbo inlet pipe that goes above and over the tubo making it hard to actually see whats going on down there from the top

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could it be rocker cover seal? they are made of plastic so i guess they may warp with age

5. Gup16v Forum Member

ill check, i did replace the injector loom so maybe a chance its just sitting unevenly/warped.

Doesn't quite explain why id have some oil sitting in the inlet though..

6. Gup16v Forum Member

replaced rocker cover seal and tightened up the egr return pipe (was a bit loose and covered in oil)

still leaking, i have a feeling turbo seals are compromised and its just pushing oil through :(

the hot side of the turbo(exhaust manifold) is also covered in oil.

new turbo perhaps?

7. Gup16v Forum Member

8. Gup16v Forum Member

Found the leak, it's leaking around one bolt on the rocker cover. I've added a small smear of loctite gasket sealer and left to cure for a few hours but it keeps coming through the bolt entry onto the cover. Not seaping between the head and cover but from the top.

What could cause this? I have swapped the bolts around to see of its a bad one but no difference.

Does this sound like a warped cover? Though I tried seeing if it was still flat on a straight/flat surface and there no was no rocking from side to side.

Thinking maybe a crack could cause this?

9. rubjonny

might be a crack in the head perhaps yes, I'd have thought you would be able to see it?

10. Gup16v Forum Member

Yeah pulled it off again and there is a crack in the bottom corner on that side which I'd missed before.

New one is 133 including vat!!!

11. rubjonny

12. Gup16v Forum Member

Thought about it but don't think it would last long.

It's been a good car so far so don't mind spending some money on it. Would definitely be a tricky one to repair though.

13. rubjonny

may as well give it a try for the cost of it, if nothing else it might stop it for the short term while you hunt a replacement head or another car to use while you get the head repaired?