Distributor/Hall sensor help needed 90 Mk2 GTi 8v

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Berwboy, Mar 18, 2021.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Lovely stuff

2. Darren Smith Forum Member

driving 8v pb 91 gti suddenly revs will just drop no power sometimes for a second or 2 sometimes a bit longer .its only just started doin it but more often now does anyone think it cud be hall sender

3. Darren Smith Forum Member

hi mate was your car losing power altogether revs just drop an then start again whilst drivin

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

usually if its the hall sensor you'll see the rev counter going nuts, but it might still be the cause. I had similar and it turned out to be damage to the fuel pump fuse socket causing the main pump to cut out randomly, new fusebox sorted that. does the engine actually cut out fully or just hold back?

5. Darren Smith Forum Member

yes engine just stops whilst driving randomly

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok does the rev counter cut out at the same time, or does it drop along with warning lights flicking on? another issue I had was ignition switch cutting power, though in my case it woudl flick off/on/off/on/off/on rapidly which isnt really ideal in the fast lane of the M4 :lol:

7. Darren Smith Forum Member

no all lights stay the same just engine cuts for a second then cums bak on .got foot on revs a just drops off for second sometimes a couple of seconds

8. Darren Smith Forum Member

just had new hall sender an still cuttin out randomly

9. Darren Smith Forum Member

rev counter doesent cut out just the engine .ive changed ecu tci unit brand new hall sender air flow meter coil .im gona unplug ignition switch an hotwore it to see if it is ignition switch.its only started doin this since i swopped throttle body cus mine had a faulty idle switch runnin really rich on tickover its not now but got this problem .ive plugged my old throttle body in an drove it but still cuts out so cant be throttke body .doin my head in an its now caused engine mounts to fuck up keep snatchin the engine wen it cuts out an then back in again jerkin the engine

10. Darren Smith Forum Member

it cuts out fully sometimes for a second but sometimes longer the dash lights dont cum wen it does this just power to engine is effected nothin else

11. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

The way the car is behaving it could be a number of things and I will try and list them here:
    • I was going to suggest throttle switch/wiring but you seem to have swopped in another one with no affect but are these definitely OK in what you swopped in? - these can be a problem (between the switch, the wiring and how they're set-up/positioned) and that is what you were working on before this all kicked off.
    • Are all your vacuum hoses OK and intact - this is another bastard that can cause cutting out and maybe one got disturbed/damaged
    • Is the ISV getting power (buzzing) and functional. Even if it is buzzing might be worth removing it and soaking it in petrol (they get sooted up)
    • Is the coolant (blue) sensor connected and functional - this is another beauty that can cause various issues if it starts playing up.
    • Is fuel pump and wiring OK - in case that is operating intermittently and causing car to cut out.
    • It's unlikely but how old is fuel pump filter, although whether it's the pump/filter, generally I have found the car starts to buck rather than just cut out completely.
    • Might sound silly but is battery OK and are connections secure and clean.

12. Darren Smith Forum Member

brand new battery as like all power to engine is lost for s split secon sometimes longer its knackerd engine mounts now threw it

13. Darren Smith Forum Member

seems to do it after about 5 minits of driving aswell suggesting its something gettin warm

14. Darren Smith Forum Member

just so as not to confuse .the engine doesent cut out the revs just drop like for a split second other times for a couple or few seconds . cud 32 relay be a cause or could it be fusebox .could it be new throttle body but ive plugged my old one in an earhed it an drove car an same problem yet it only started doin this after i changed the throttle body .i suspected in new tb that the top micro switch was faulty as the didnt feel so quick with wide open tjrottle .im at a loss an so far spent money for nothin

15. Darren Smith Forum Member

ive worked it all out now tonight im head .bottom tps is workin top one is not tomorow i swop tb bavk for my old one then if the problem isnt ther i will take bottom tps from new tb an bolt it an wire it to my old tb an see wot happens .im hopin ive fixed me cuttin out problem an fixed me bottom tps problem an all runnin sweet .this new throte body is causin the problem

16. Darren Smith Forum Member

thanks everyone problem was wen i fitted new tb i got the wire to throttle switches caugjt under the washer an body so was earthing joined the wire bak up taped it up an now runnin sweet .any drawbacl is i spent 70 quid 30 on second hand dizzy an 40 for nrw hall sender but never mind.if anyone needs a dizzy i got one lol