Diverter valve relocation to cold side

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by p3nfold, Jul 9, 2012.

1. p3nfold Forum Member

In my quest to reduce high air temps, I have been looking into relocating my Forge 007p from the hot side to the cold side.

It looks fairly easy and I can see the benefits of cold air being recirculated in the cold side of the turbo.

So has one one does this and are they any issues? Would I need my map tweaked?

2. p3nfold Forum Member

I did some googling and found the below from forge's website

This kit allows the relocation of the diverter valve to the cold side of the intercooler on the VAG 1.8T 210 and 225 hp engines as found in the Audi S3 / TT and the SEAT Leon Cupra R

By relocating the valve in this way there are two benefits. Firstly, due to operating in lower temperatures the longevity of the valve is increased. Secondly, after relocation, the air that is recirculated back into the intake tract to the turbo will be cooler. Cooler air has a greater density. The greater the density of the charge mix in the cylinder the more power generated on combustion.

Please be aware that these hoses were patterned from right hand drive vehicles. Whilst we believe these to be correct for left hand drive vehicles we suggest that you visually check their suitability, as replacement items, with those fitted to your own vehicle, before attempting installation.

3. corradophil Forum Member

I've done this, but only because I already had a Forge FMIC and hose to the TB with the extra branch required for the cold side conversion fitted, and my Forge DV would not fit neatly under the engine cover.

Differences when driving - None that I could feel.

4. p3nfold Forum Member

Thanks for posting, looks like I will give this a go. Not alot of work just need a modification to support the DV and silicone.

I am hoping this will assist in reducing air temps, if not its something new lol.

5. p3nfold Forum Member

I fitted the home made relocated kit. I have only noticed that it does not sound as loud lol which is not a bad thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  6. p3nfold Forum Member

Kit list consists of the below

ASH Alloy 63mm T-piece with 25mm spout
    ASH 25mm hose blanking plug
    ASH 1 metre 25mm ID flexible silicone hose - Only need 1/2 metre
    ASH 90 degree hose joiner

Cost for parts = 41.16 vs circ 130 kit from Forge.

6 x 25mm Jubilee clips (already got)

Happy with the cost saving!!

Can anyone foresee a problem in my home made kit?

7. turbotommy Forum Member

Can't see any problems with your relocation at all.
    TBH I thought i would be a waste of time but if the DV is quieter then all is not lost,(mine is far too loud,sounds like a cossie)
    I'm looking into making the path of air smoother,giving the turbo an easier time through flow,then heat management is next but as you'll know doulbt know,its not an easy or 5 min task!
    Best of luck.
    Tommy.

8. p3nfold Forum Member

Hey Tommy,

I think the concept of cooler charged air being recirculated back into the cold side of the turbo is valid. I read this type of mod helps to reduce prolong the life of the DV.

I am also looking at making the path of air smoother including custom intercooler pipe work with minimal bends and reducing heat soak for my intercooler as its close to the rad.

Also looking at the relentless v3 manifold.

9. p3nfold Forum Member

I had to go back to the old setup as I car was not pulling quite right. The boost seem to come late and felt lagged, but this could be related to a boost pipe coming off the day before and me not fitting it correctly.

So whats next, wait a few days to see if the boost pipe stays firm then put the kit back on again and test.

I would prefer to roll with my solution as the of already cooled air re-circulated back into the system just makes sense.